Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Roof rack light protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cables are to keep "brush" away from your windshield, intended to push away low hanging branches on trails. That was a separate project though.

Tools
Drill
Angle grinder
Metal step bit(I used this one)
(pipe bender for more accuracy I used two trees haha)
bench vise helps

Materials
10' 3/4'' electrical conduit( for price and ease of bending)
4' 3/4" pipe (thicker gauge and smaller outer diameter)
(4) 1/4" bolts
3' 1" wide aluminum bar
(2) smaller bolts (for connection between conduit and back braces)
Black paint
(2) 3/4"and 1/2" black plastic pipe plugs (hardware section at lowes)

1) cut 3/4" conduit to around 7'6", Find center, Mark out around 12-14" in either direction, Start bending keeping it symmetrical the best you can. (just go slow little by little back and forth, till it looks the way you want it to)
2)Mock up the conduit on the rack to where you like it.
3)Measure how much to cut off the bottom, and the length between the conduit and the top bar of the rack
4) Cut the remainder of the conduit off the bottom(where it will be setting on the bottom bar of the rack.
5) Cut two the the 3/4" pipe to length for the top brace. (leave about an inch of length for the pipe to go into the 3/4" conduit
6) Each brace should be just to the right and left of where the two middle lights are, and stay within the straight part of the conduit.
7) Drill out holes on conduit where the it would allow the pipe to go straight back(parallel with the ground) You may also need to move the step bit back and forth to get the hole just large enough
8) Squish pipe end with bench vise just enough to make it ovalish to slide into the conduit
9)Drill straight down through conduit and pipe (~1/8bit) and insert small bolt that will hold the two together
10) Insert plastic plugs on all four pipe ends
11)Cut the aluminum bar into four ~4" strips and bend into Ushapes big enough to wrap around 3/4" pipe
12) Do final mock up. Ushape aluminum will wrap around rack bar and sandwich ends of protection bar.
13)Drill through aluminum and protection bar ends with 1/4 drill bit
14)Paint
15)Bolt on with 1/4" bolts

Old 10-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I did a good enough job explaining and looking at my pictures should help. Good luck if you decide to do it!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks redrover99 for taking the time to provide these instructions. I like how the project turned out, and will ad this to my to-do-list.