Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Roof Rack Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof Rack Recommendations?

After reluctantly paying Uncle Sam today, I am now free to buy a roof rack for my Disco 1.

I am really liking this:

Baja Rack

Anyone else on the boards have one, or another model from Baja Racks?

Opinions?

Better racks I should consider?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Why are you looking for a roof rack? What you're looking to use it for should be taken into account..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Why are you looking for a roof rack? What you're looking to use it for should be taken into account..
Because they look cool of course!

I wish someone made one that WASN'T sun roof compatible. I don't have sun roofs, and I'd like to still fit in at least SOME garages if need be. Heck, I'd even like to remove that factory roof bars on mine and have just the SD style rack, like the Discovery XD.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Garages are overrated.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jafir

I wish someone made one that WASN'T sun roof compatible. I don't have sun roofs, and I'd like to still fit in at least SOME garages if need be. Heck, I'd even like to remove that factory roof bars on mine and have just the SD style rack, like the Discovery XD.
haha yea I have an SD rack and use it as a tree slider/light holder (lights that I hardly use) more than anything..

I actually think Discos look better without racks or roof rails which is the route I may go eventually. Especially since I can sell my rack for a little bit of money. I have used mine to carry patio furniture home from Sears. And to carry all the plastic bits that fall off for the first time off roaders. As well as other occastiona things here and there... BUT all in all I would say there are a lot of other modifications that are much more useful than a roof rack. Especially since you can fit mostly anything in the back of a D1 with the rear seats flipped up.

Forgot to mention it's 7 and a half feet to the top of my rack... So anything thats heavy, better not be breakable cause there's only one way off the rack.

Voyager Racks, the link above does make a low profile one that only adds 6" of height but it's $1000....

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, my family of 4 likes to camp, and the cargo space isn't enough, so I end strapping stuff to the stock racks (which are woefully inadequate), and this summer, 3 buddies and I will be running most of the WABDR - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route, so I need enough carrying capacity to handle it.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling

haha yea I have an SD rack and use it as a tree slider/light holder (lights that I hardly use) more than anything..

I actually think Discos look better without racks or roof rails which is the route I may go eventually. Especially since I can sell my rack for a little bit of money. I have used mine to carry patio furniture home from Sears. And to carry all the plastic bits that fall off for the first time off roaders. As well as other occastiona things here and there... BUT all in all I would say there are a lot of other modifications that are much more useful than a roof rack. Especially since you can fit mostly anything in the back of a D1 with the rear seats flipped up.

Forgot to mention it's 7 and a half feet to the top of my rack... So anything thats heavy, better not be breakable cause there's only one way off the rack.

Voyager Racks, the link above does make a low profile one that only adds 6" of height but it's $1000....
Voyager racks are cool, too. I'm a little torn between the two, but I really like the look of the Baja Rack.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Garages are overrated.
Yah. And my Disco lives in the driveway because my wife insists on parking her car in the garage, and the (pile of parts) 1960 Sprite lives on the other side.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jafir

The Voyager racks are good for the garage thing, but my Disco has been banished from the garage, so it doesn't matter how tall it is.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Recommendations?