Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Roof Rack Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
running them along a snorkel seems like the smartest bet to me... i wouldnt put holes in the roof personally.
I was seriously considering a snorkel, but it is now out my budget (not unless a used one is out there...somewhere).

While on Dweb, I found a pic of a Cayenne with roof lights, connected via a mil-spec waterproof connector though the roof...nice.

Since my lil'cousin's have done harness conversions, using mil-spec connectors on their rice-rockets....might as well get one from their source and drill...baby drill!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

two sunroofs, a bunch of holes for the roof rails and the seam between the roof and the body....another hole, properly done isn't gonna matter much. id do it.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
two sunroofs, a bunch of holes for the roof rails and the seam between the roof and the body....another hole, properly done isn't gonna matter much. id do it.
True...so true.......going to look for a 6-pin for the front and a 2-pin for the rear.....

Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
True...so true.......going to look for a 6-pin for the front and a 2-pin for the rear.....

keep in mind the size of the connector/pins for that many wires is going to be rather chunky. i dont know how youd package that cleanly inside without it looking like an afterthought.

connectors are a lot easier to package cleanly when youre making engine harnesses with 22 and 20 gauge wire. not bigger stuff for running these sorts of lights...

Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Pro Wrench

oh yeah..forgot the alpines.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Hmm interested I picked up a d2 rack for a guy in NYC, met almost in PA to swap. The D2 rack I took him didnt look like it would fit my truck I didnt have the fronts clamped down.
You line up the rack with the front of your roof and let the back hang over.

Name:  DSC05495.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  73.4 KB

Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Hey Chris..

I too am going camping this year, after a 3 year hiatus. My rack will be used for the tent, gear, gas and water Jerry's.

My original plan was to buy the BajaRack, since they are not too far from me. Plus, the low profile one is just under $900. Luckily, I found a used Adventure rack locally and picked it up. The rack actually came with nice plastic panels and a CB antenna bracket. I've found them on average of $600 (as low as $500)......
I've been camping a few times in the Rover, and I needed the space on the roof. I bought a roof "bag" and strapped it to the factory rack with the cross bars installed. It was barely adequate.

I have been looking locally for a used rack for a year or so, but only one has come up that I would have considered buying. It sold within a few hours of listing (and me finding it), so I missed out.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by yoshibond
I had never heard of the WABDR but as I live in BC, I am thinking it sounds pretty awesome .... Is it a reasonably straight-forward trip for a Disco? I looked at their website and they seem to make it sound like it is for motorcycles? Anything too narrow for a 4x4 truck?
This will be my first time on the route, but as far as I know it is fine for any 4x4 and apparently double-track the entire route. There could be a challenging stretch or two, but I don't think it is a particularly difficult trail.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
This will be my first time on the route, but as far as I know it is fine for any 4x4 and apparently double-track the entire route. There could be a challenging stretch or two, but I don't think it is a particularly difficult trail.
Thanks for the info. Might give it a shot this summer ... looks like a good camping trip.