Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Roof Rack Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
.....Especially since I can sell my rack for a little bit of money. I have used mine to carry patio furniture home from Sears. And to carry all the plastic bits that fall off for the first time off roaders. As well as other occastiona things here and there... BUT all in all I would say there are a lot of other modifications that are much more useful than a roof rack....
And you want to sell your SD rack for how much?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
And you want to sell your SD rack for how much?

Including shipping? More than I am sure you're willing to pay since you live on the other side of the country... I'd just go with a baja rack or keep surfing craigslist they come up for around $400-800 depending on whos selling them. Sometimes they get sold by people who dont know what they are actually worth.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Including shipping? More than I am sure you're willing to pay since you live on the other side of the country... I'd just go with a baja rack or keep surfing craigslist they come up for around $400-800 depending on whos selling them. Sometimes they get sold by people who dont know what they are actually worth.
What he said, I bought my SD rack site unseen for $150, paid over the phone and then drove 3 hours one way to go get it.
Best $150 I've ever spent, I use my rack all the time.
When I trim the tree in the back yard, I dont use a ladder, I drive my truck over, climb up the ladder and use the pole saw to trim the tree, then move the truck and do it again.
The kids love to sit up there and watch fireworks.
We take the truck to get the Christmas tree every year and strap it to the roof rack.
Need to haul a mattress? Roof rack.
Plywood? Sheetrock? Who needs a pick up truck when you have a Rover with a roof rack.
If you are not in a hurry keep cruising Craig's List and check the classifieds of other Rover forums, put feelers out there on them too.
The rack I bought was for a DII, then I traded it a year later even up for a DI SD roof rack.
The DII rack fits the DI just fine, its just 6" to long in the back.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
What he said, I bought my SD rack site unseen for $150, paid over the phone and then drove 3 hours one way to go get it.
Best $150 I've ever spent, I use my rack all the time.
When I trim the tree in the back yard, I dont use a ladder, I drive my truck over, climb up the ladder and use the pole saw to trim the tree, then move the truck and do it again.
The kids love to sit up there and watch fireworks.
We take the truck to get the Christmas tree every year and strap it to the roof rack.
Need to haul a mattress? Roof rack.
Plywood? Sheetrock? Who needs a pick up truck when you have a Rover with a roof rack.
If you are not in a hurry keep cruising Craig's List and check the classifieds of other Rover forums, put feelers out there on them too.
The rack I bought was for a DII, then I traded it a year later even up for a DI SD roof rack.
The DII rack fits the DI just fine, its just 6" to long in the back.
Hmm interested I picked up a d2 rack for a guy in NYC, met almost in PA to swap. The D2 rack I took him didnt look like it would fit my truck I didnt have the fronts clamped down.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im enjoying the factory LR rack thats on mine. i dont use it a ton but its been useful hauling random parts around for the other project car a few times...

these things are really tight for space for longer items so its really nice to have the option of strapping things down to the rack if they wont (and they probably wont...) fit inside.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Pro Wrench

Why are you looking for a roof rack? What you're looking to use it for should be taken into account..
I'd love to be able to carry 4 or so 3/4 inch, 4'x8' panels easily.

edit: I see Spike uses the SD to carry panels. Need to check...and read thru threads before jumping in.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Pro Wrench

that SD is too much visually for me. not to mention too much shipping wise for me. and it seems to drop in front so i'm not sure how you'd stack panels easily. i think i'm looking for an invention that clamps easily to the stock roof rails....maybe a mod on a kayak carrier or something. might even be able to remove it easily when not using it...like most of the time.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Well, my family of 4 likes to camp, and the cargo space isn't enough, so I end strapping stuff to the stock racks (which are woefully inadequate), and this summer, 3 buddies and I will be running most of the WABDR - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route, so I need enough carrying capacity to handle it.
I had never heard of the WABDR but as I live in BC, I am thinking it sounds pretty awesome .... Is it a reasonably straight-forward trip for a Disco? I looked at their website and they seem to make it sound like it is for motorcycles? Anything too narrow for a 4x4 truck?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chris..

I too am going camping this year, after a 3 year hiatus. My rack will be used for the tent, gear, gas and water Jerry's.

My original plan was to buy the BajaRack, since they are not too far from me. Plus, the low profile one is just under $900. Luckily, I found a used Adventure rack locally and picked it up. The rack actually came with nice plastic panels and a CB antenna bracket. I've found them on average of $600 (as low as $500).

Hey Jake.

Right now, I have all the "Hella's" on the rack for the harness mock-up. Did you route your cables along with snorkel? I cant seem to find a good way to route 10 or 12 gauge wire. I cant seem to find anyone that modded the A-Pillar. I was thinking a Mil-Spec connector though the roof.....

Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Right now, I have all the "Hella's" on the rack for the harness mock-up. Did you route your cables along with snorkel? I cant seem to find a good way to route 10 or 12 gauge wire. I cant seem to find anyone that modded the A-Pillar. I was thinking a Mil-Spec connector though the roof.....

running them along a snorkel seems like the smartest bet to me... i wouldnt put holes in the roof personally.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Recommendations?