Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rough start to over rev to dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010 | 02:06 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Rough start to over rev to dying

Today took the rover to a short off road section on a farm before work with some buddys. Parked the rover in the lot at work like normal, when i go to leave and start her up, she starts really rough, turning and turning. All the while im hearing a clicking from the passenger side of the car. When it finally starts it revs up to about 3k, then starts slowly dropping down to idle, and then dies. On the third or fourth attempt it fires up and seems to ilde just fine It was kinda low on fuel, just below a 1/4 tank. I limped it to a gas station and filled it up and it ran fine.

I have some theories, but i would like to hear a consensus and your ideas, thoughts, advice? Yay for the mass pooling of information that is a forum.

I just gave it a tune up last week, new plugs, wire, trans flush and filter change, oil and filter change, coolant change. Nothing out of the ordinary all the colors and smells of fluid one could expect.

Old 07-12-2010 | 08:12 AM
Team Owner

Sounds like something got wet, was there water where you went?

Old 07-13-2010 | 06:19 AM
|
Three Wheeling

No water, some mud but not alot of that even.

Old 07-13-2010 | 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

my inclination would be with spikes, if you dont experience the bogging down again, i'd say something got wet and just needed to work its self out.

Old 07-13-2010 | 10:12 AM
Camel Trophy

If you were bumping around with a low tank, you could have been starving your pump. It uses fuel to cool its self. Getting a full tank seems to have changed things? I would watch the pump for now. The next time it won't fire, just turn the key on for 10 seconds and off 3 timed before trying to start. Do not hit the gas pedal while doing it. See if it makes a difference.

Old 07-20-2010 | 10:19 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Well now it kept doing the same thing for the past couple of days and now its not starting. The only code im getting is p1447, which is a purge valve.

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:49 PM
|
Three Wheeling

After i worked on it today ive ruled out this stuff

fuel pump; i pulled its control fuse and it makes the same attempt to start

fuel injectors, same thing as the fuel pump as well i pulled one and turned the engine over and it shot fuel

all fuses

neutral start safety switch; put trans in neutral to get the same outcome

Like i said the only code im getting is the p1447, can a purge valve cause it to not start?

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:01 PM
Camel Trophy

Just for the heck of it, while you are under there, make sure your inertia switch is pressed in all of the way. Pass fire wall, little button.

Old 07-21-2010 | 12:14 PM
|
Three Wheeling

the inertia switch was the culprit for not starting, but i still have all the issues.

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:27 PM
6th Gear

As for the purge vale it wont make the engine run rough,I had the 1447 code last week and found 1 at ebay for 10 bucks and bought it the person was good on there price's and shipped quick, order monday nite got it wed afternoon,that fixed the code. On the rough running I had a trarus giving rough ideal and I pulled the MAF plug and it ran fine so I replaced it and its fine, do you have reader that you could look at the pid's, I am using a ford factory reader NGS which lets you see all the sensors it could be an injector or the harness.Sorry but without some high dollar reader it's a hit and miss,you might buy a Noid at Az to check the injector harness,the injector can cause some roughness if its pluged,check out youtube for how to clean injector's there's some great video's on it.

Quick Reply: Rough start to over rev to dying