Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

RTE 3" Springs and Terrafirma Standard shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RTE 3" Springs and Terrafirma Standard shocks

I know the TF shocks are about +2" longer than factory I am considering upgrading my springs to the 3" RTEs. However, although I think it would probably work (for short term) I was looking to get some opinions from you all since its likely someone has already been down this road.
Thanks!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

With 3" RTE springs plan for:
Cranked radius arms
DC front shaft
Cranked trailing arms
A-arm spacer
Spring wedges(possibly)
Adjustable panhard rod
*That's a minimum.
To maximize the lift you'll want longer brake lines, and not the standard +2" ones. Longer shocks.
You can do 11" up front and 12" in the back. But 10" front and 11" rear is probably safer. If you run eye to eye shocks you need lower adapters and different front upper towers. D2 towers work well and are cheapish.

What size tires do you want to run?

Last edited by fishEH; 07-29-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Ah! Good deal thats the post I was looking for. Is it too long of a stretch for a D2 DC driveshaft I can get one for very cheap but if it wont work then I might as well just go with a TW or Great Basin one from the start. I was already planning on getting new trailing arms and radius arms from Adrenalin 4x4 im assuming the 3* of castor correction is optimal for this setup saying as most people with 5" or greater do the 6*.

Do the D2 front upper towers have accommodations for eye to eye shocks? I did not know that.

Thanks for your input man!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Camel Trophy

A D2 DC front shaft will work. But you'll need the TC output flange from the D2. And you'll want to rebuild it with greasable joints so it doesn't take out your transmission.
The D2 towers work. They are set up to take a 12mm bolt so you'll need to reem it out to 1/2" with a drill bit. Any standard 1/2" eye shock will fit at that point. I'm running that setup and it works well.
I saw on FB some guy from Arizona just picked up some Adrenaline parts, they looked pretty sweet.

I have D2 towers and an output flange I'd cut you a deal on if you decide to go that route. And no I didn't recommend those just to sell you mine, LOL. I use the D2 towers with my Fox 2.0 11" shocks and they're money.
I would also recommend going with the polybushings on the shocks, not the Heims.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea I imagine Heims on a shock would make for some awesome noises. PM me the price that you want for yours if its crazy enough for me to not waste more time at the junkyard I may just take you up on it.

The Adrenalin parts (from what i hear from brits) are pretty stout and you really cant beat their price very easily ~$600 for Radius and trailing arms

Is your first D1 in your sig dead-dead or are you working on fixing it?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy

The '98 is dead. ECU is toast and a few other things. I'm rehabbing the '95 and will be moving everything over from the '98.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Gotcha that sucks, hey atleast it didnt catch fire

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Doug18
Gotcha that sucks, hey atleast it didnt catch fire
Yeah that would have been bad since I plan on using most of the interior on my 95.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have d2 towers I need gone. Drilled for 1/2" hardware. Pm incoming

Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea hey man if you need any OEM parts let me know the yards around me have like 6 D1/2s right now if its anything big(er) my car gets great mileage id be happy to drive it out to ya

BTW which Fox shocks do you have I was considering the "pro" series emulsion that L8 sells but then I saw these on Poly and am really intrigued by the price so I may give them a shot.
POLY PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD PARTS :: Shocks & Accessories :: Shocks :: Fox Offroad Shocks :: Fox 2.0" :: Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP Smooth Body, Universal Eyelet Shocks

Quick Reply: RTE 3" Springs and Terrafirma Standard shocks