Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rust at rear wheel well and back door

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust at rear wheel well and back door

Hi,
checking out some trucks, and one is particularly nice, BUT, there is rust that has eaten through the rear wheel well where the pillar lands upon it. The hole is through the wheel well, lookin up into the pillar, and has spread just outside of that joint. The truck is really clean otherwise, no window rust or anything around the back gate, and has had many things renewed (shocks, breaks, waterpump, tires, blah blah blah) and all the internals and electrics work, so i'm really tempted, but this rust is scary to me.

I was thinking of a repair with some sheet stainless, bent into shape and affixed using a combo of JBweld (which actually does quiete well in shear and tension, so long as the surfaces are clean, have good fit and the glue layer is thin) and rivets, after inserting some formed stainless into the pillar.

Anyone have info, experience or stories (horror or otherwise) with this?
thanks

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a common place for these trucks to rust at. Repair/patch panels are available if you decide to go that route also. Mine had holes there also I just used JB Weld to fill in the holes (the biggest was only about 3/8" diameter)

Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I fixed mine with fiberglass. Easy and stronger than new. Plus it will not rust in the same place again, LOL

Old 01-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

There is more to dealing with rust then filling it in with the old stan by, J-B Weld. First, if you found some rust, there is more under there and it really needs to be cut out or it will continue to spread under a J-B Weld patch.
If you are set on that truck, better steal it cause it may have more surprises waiting.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Mudding

Agree with DiscoMike. Make sure you take up the carpets also and check the boot floor and pans up front. Mine were gone. Literally.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty rover

I'm not super set on it, its just the nicest example I've seen up in Fort Collins. I'm heading down to the Denver area today to check out more (there are LOTS more down there).
I did figure to grind away all the rust I could, then naval jelly the rest. I've done lots with naval jelly for removing rust, but not on rovers per se.
I had an 88 rangie, and those body panels were primarily aluminium if I remember correctly. Anyone know if its the same with Disco's? I haven't seen any with body rust, just on the chassis, so I'm guessing its the case.
Also, what are you guys doing for larger, more aggressive tires, or how about wheel options? I used to be able to find some reasonable looking steel wheels, but they elude me now. I'm not going for "looks" exactly (though I'm not out for ugly, either), I just want to build a truck to take to the hills, take the family camping, or do some fun jeep trails.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A stock Disco with Good tires will take you some amazing places if you have good tread pattern. I would forget chaning the wheels until I did everything else the truck may need.

If it is original springs, they are most likely dead from old age. Put some good suspension under it like Old Man Emu or some of the other ones made specially for a Discovery. Most people go with a 2 inch lift, depending on exactly what your expectations for the truck are. Much more will give you lots more issues to deal with and can get costly in a hurry.

The Discovery I is very capable if the CDL is still working. Many older ones have the linkages corroded in position and will not readily engage, especially if they have not been used on a regular basis. Good thing is that it is relatively easy to fix if you take your time and remove the center console and get right down to the weak *** little linkage that LR provided. I had to totally disassemble mine and rebuild with new clips and pins and lubricate real good. I also had to replace the CDL switch due to a corroded plunger not allowing the switch to function. It is a world of difference now with a functioning differential lock. They are truly awesome.

As far as Jeep trails, a Disco can handle the Big Boy trails better than most Jeeps ever could, so you can leave the Kiddie Table and truly go off-roading. Look at some UTube videoes to see what I mean. You will also see a lot of stuff not to do.

Remember the LR motto, as slow as possible, as fast as necessary. It is not a Crash and Bash Vehicle. Learn it's capability and you should really enjoy it. Otherwise, Drive It Like You Stole It.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-04-2011 at 10:57 AM.