Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Second Window Regulator Broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Second Window Regulator Broken

Back in June of this year, I had to have the regulator AND the motor replaced on my driver-door window. Total cost from the local shop $800 parts + labor (yeah, I know, WTF?).

Today, the passenger front door regulator broke. It was essentially the same issue, and in fact it was the same roller that broke (relative to the other side). This one broke and then the remnants of the roller (essentially its core) got stuck in a center bolt holt on the track, which caused it to bind and subsequently bend one of the arms. This bolt hole is useless; its presence represents poor design IMO.

I managed to unbend the bent arm and tweak it so it exerts just enough pressure on the track to work, but not enough to get stuck in the hole again; obviously a temporary band-aid until I order the new regulator and replace it myself for a fraction of what the local shop will charge.

So, I assume others on the forum have replaced at least one regulator, and if so, are there any tips/tricks to getting the job done?

Any special tools?

Cheers and Happy Turkey Day!

Last edited by LeakyDisco; 11-24-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can replace just that roller.
There are brass ones on the net that can be used and they will never break ever again.
Otherwise you can just take whats left of that roller and go to the hardware store and do your best to match it up to something else.
Some have even used a stack of washers sandwiched together to make their own roller.

www.roverlandparts.com

Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You can replace just that roller.
There are brass ones on the net that can be used and they will never break ever again.
Otherwise you can just take whats left of that roller and go to the hardware store and do your best to match it up to something else.
Some have even used a stack of washers sandwiched together to make their own roller.

www.roverlandparts.com
Thanks, Spike. The core of the roller appears to be riveted into the arm, and it has a bit of a lip that would make it difficult to get anything inflexible over it.

Any suggestions for removing the roller?

Cheers.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think people just drill it out and then use a new screw to put it back together.

I have yet to do this, my windows still work and I dont like rolling them down anyway, I prefer A/C because rolling the windows down mess's up my hair.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i did that, in fact i had an identical problem just didnt let it bend. my drivers went out, so i replaced regulator and motor, turned out to be just the motor but it was only $30 for the assembly from the junk yard. for the rear drivers side and front passenger window, i used a 1" screen door roller cut in half and bolted where the rivet was, think i paid $4 for parts for both. somewhat easy process if you know what your doing(removing the regulator at least), cut the old rivet off, and then you can either drill it out or knock out whats left (not too easy, its in there tight). once thats out you just bolt on the roller and slid it into the track. if you want the part number for what i used i can give you that tomorrow, its in my tool box at work.

Last edited by dansgt; 11-25-2010 at 03:15 PM.