Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Security system problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

In my experience "odd" occurs due to changes in weather. Besides, what seems odd now won't when you've been around a Rover long enough. There is nothing odd about them, they're actually more straight forward easy than you might think.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, it has been a fun truck to work on, I cant wait until all of the issues are resolved

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Kalev
Hi!

Here is an odd question.

I just noticed that the turn signals/sidelights did not flash as expected when the vehicle is locked (drivers door, and with the key).

I'm not sure where to start looking to solve this problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Kalev
This same problem boggled me for a year. It ended up being the door light push switch in the cargo door. The part that sticks out (middle of hinge side) and opens the circuit turning off dome light when door closes was snapped off. Apparently that switch had to be open (pushed in, but since it was broken it wouldn't push in) so the truck knows the door is closed and it is ready to superlock. It could be any of those switches on any door not working. Replaced that item for $15 and two things happened. My truck would now superlock (signals flash 3 times) and the mysterious battery drain i was also experiencing was solved. Good place to start.

Last edited by jbb611; 05-18-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
More than likely one of the locks isn't locking like the load space door........fairly common. Do the locks all spring back up when you try to lock the drivers door?
This is another possibility that ties into my first reply. The truck knows its not fully closed up and will still lock but not superlock. Although I also have a door lock button that doesnt pop up (cargo door), but the alarm system still activates. Thats mor of an inconvenience because i have to use a key to unlock cargo door and if i forget to disarm system the alarm goes off. Good luck

Last edited by jbb611; 05-18-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbb611
This same problem boggled me for a year. It ended up being the door light push switch in the cargo door. The part that sticks out (middle of hinge side) and opens the circuit turning off dome light when door closes was snapped off. Apparently that switch had to be open (pushed in, but since it was broken it wouldn't push in) so the truck knows the door is closed and it is ready to superlock. It could be any of those switches on any door not working. Replaced that item for $15 and two things happened. My truck would now superlock (signals flash 3 times) and the mysterious battery drain i was also experiencing was solved. Good place to start.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just checked the "switch" at the rear door, and it still has "spring" to it, but, the hood switch looks like it has some issues, the switch, is permanently in the down position... I wonder if that could be the problem?

I'm trying to find a new switch, but that seems to be an issue...

Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Drifting

I just found it, AMR2022! I just ordered one, lets see if this solves the mystery

Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I hate to say it but the hood switch in the down position is the same as the hood closed.....

A simple volt meter check would suffice. Oh well, another new owner blowing dough on chasing ghosts.......

Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I hate to say it but the hood switch in the down position is the same as the hood closed....
True, but the connection for the hood switch is obliterated, so I figure its worth replacing along with the door actuators because a few weeks ago everything worked, and now, it doesn't.... and the only place I have been working is near the master cylinder.