Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Serpentine Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok, I have to ask...... soooooo, what's the problem you're having ??

Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad vibration, apparently coming from what I thought was misfiring. But I have ultra gauge and it isn't picking up any codes.

My thread on this is https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-wires-58844/

Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Mudding

I am having that problem in my Jeep, which is why I ended up with the Disco in the first place.... turns out I lost compression in cyl 8, not sure if it's a cracked ring or valve issue, at 365K not sure if I care. Hope your issue turns out to be something simple, but you will probably have to tear through alot of parts and money to find it... injectors, plugs, wires, ignition modules, blah blah blah...

Old 05-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

had this problem serp belt was routed wrong, exact same symptoms you describe , swore it was routed right till I took the rave pick out to the rover and wow it was wrong, mine started after an alt replacement I let a shop do realy sucks since I had a new goodyear gator belt and thought it had stretched so I chucked it, now I know better and keep that diagram in the glove box

Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Mudding

Mine was routed wrong when I got the car, but I corrected it per RAVE when I put the first new belt on it because it was chirping like crazy, believe it or not. The correct routing puts alot more tension on the belt but the darn thing still squeals like a pig.

A confession..... I caved. Had an event to go to today and couldn't be showing up with an ear splitting screech. I know better, but did it anyway.... hit the flat of the belt with a little brake fluid, just lightly let a rag with some brake fluid on it rub against the flat for a few seconds and the squeal completely stopped, as expected. Yes, when my new gatorback comes in I will scrub the pulleys really really well. I feel like such a hack !

Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

have you checked the power steering fluid? it could be the pump screeching if it is low or bad

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Mudding

QUESTION - - - Does anyone have any thoughts on the length of the Gatorback belt for D1 ??? The belt specified for D1 by RockAuto and a few other websites has an effective length of 88.4", but there are other Gatorback models available that have shorter effective lenghts, like 88.0, 87.3, 87.2.... Does anyone have any experience with the shorter lengths and would a shorter belt help or hinder my problem ?????

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The minor difference in belt length will be compensated for by the tensioner. I think your problem lies with what the belt turns, rather than with the belt itself. Unless the belt is being contaminated by oil/coolant drips.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Mudding

no, actually believe it or not nothing leaks out of my rover. nothing at all. it doesn't mark its spot. Yet. Everything turns freely and easily by hand, with no play or noises of any kind, silky smooth. My thought that was a slightly shorter belt would pull the tensioner a little further back and crank up the spring a little more and get a little more tension on the belt

Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Mudding

Well, closure. Finally figured it out. Or rather, it figured itself out for me. For whatever reason, there was no squeal at all today. Quiet and smooth, a beautiful thing. But on the way home from work, there arose an awful clatter and the belt shredded off about a quarter inch wide strip of itself on the inside, towards the engine. What was left was justified against the inner edge of the power steering pump pulley, and the outer edge of all the rest of the pulleys like the power steering pump pulley was sticking out about a belt groove further than the rest and the inner edge of the pulley sliced the strip off the belt. Upon inspection, it looks like the power steering pulley mount has migrated outward on its shaft about a tenth of an inch or so. My guess is that the squeal was coming from the water pump pulley because the belt was misaligned across this, as the flat back of the belt across the flat water pump pulley had to make up for the misalignment between the alternator and the power steering pump so the belt traversed the water pump at a slight angle. The squeal went away because it jumped a groove on the PS pump and lined itself up, and luckily shredded the edge off rather than jumping the PS pump pulley altogether. So I just peeled the strip off the belt completely, turning my 7 groove belt into a 6 groove on the side of the Mass Pike, and continued on home. Cautiously. I'm not even going to bother asking if there is a way to press the pulley back into place on the shaft. Time to start a PS pump thread I guess. Thanks all for your input on this issue !

Last edited by ajnolin; 05-15-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Squeal