Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

She won't start in new climate

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default She won't start in new climate

My 94 Disco won't start this morning... In August the dealer replaced the rotor under the distributor cap, warranty replaced the gas tank and tested the fuel pump and gave her a clean bill of health. I just relocated from LA to Houston/ Sugar Land area and she's not liking the climate change too much. She has been hesitating to start in the mornings and this morning won't turn over. Oil changes are done with rotella 15w40 every 5k, fluids are replaced in regular intervals. I don't know the Houston area very well or where to seek assistance. All lights work, fuel pump engages, new optima red top. Mileage is at 147,300. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Any codes? Look under front side of passenger seat for display.

Last edited by ihscouts; 10-25-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Whats the temp difference?
How is the climate so much different?
Hot and dry is hot and dry right?
More ethanol in the fuel there maybe?

Did you change the clock to the correct time? Maybe thats it and its confused?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Rock Crawling

It's humid here still and it's only difference since I left Los Angeles. I came home after work n she started right up. Regardless, ordered a set of magnecor wires, distributor cap n plugs today. Clock is changed as well, will check for codes tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Codes are important. Is your amp still mounted to the dizzy?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling

@ihscouts-amp? Fuel at the rail was @15psi with key in on position. This intermittent starting thing is getting old. Had the issue for 2 weeks when I moved to Houston then it went away, this morning it's back.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy

15psi is half what it should be, should be 30 to 35psi. Check for spark, if you have a good spark then I'd think fuel pump, pump pick-up screen and fuel filter.

You can change just the pump without replacing the entire collapsable cage it sits in. It's not hard and it's way cheaper. There is a pick-up screen just under the pump, sits on the bottom of the tank and is connected to the pump. It's wire mesh and because it sits in fuel it usually will become hard with deposits.

The pump if you don't know is under a cover on the cargo floor, remove the black steel cover and there's the pump. Undo the two fuel lines, one is the feed and the other is the return. Since in a warm climate they should be in decent shape. Undo the electric connector and then the big ring that holds pump housing. Once ring is off lift pump housing out. Self explanatory from there.

You'll need a few feet of rubber fuel line and four fuel line clamps if you change pump out. The new pump will have a wire harness adapter for the pump to internal connector.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling

New Magnecor wires and E3 plugs that were recommended by Disco Mike. I will have to assume that it's the fuel pump as the rail reads 15psi. It's weird that in August she was given a clean bill of health by the LR dealer in Encino Ca. I'm am not sure how long a fuel pump lasts but, this is the original and I just hit 148k and it's a 1994. Unless I am missing something, I will go ahead and order a new fuel pump assembly. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Found a fuel pump assembly kit on Atlantic British for $209 Item: ESR3926K (Same Fit As Part # ESR3926). From what I have read it's a straight forward procedure. If anyone has a cheaper listing please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling

@spike555, there aren't any codes that I'm pulling, I have spoken with Disco Mike prior to ensure I was pulling them correctly as well.

Quick Reply: She won't start in new climate