Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shift Interlock lesson

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Shift Interlock lesson

I had the chance to learn a little more about my Disco this weekend! Stopped at my office for 5 minutes and it wouldn't move out of park/no stop light...

So, pulled out my thumb-drive with the RAVE manuals and commenced to learn. A paperclip jumper between the two green wires on the stoplight switch connector got me home (2 blocks away), I didn't stock the switch at work (NAPA), so began to dis-assemble the switch. It didn't come apart all the way, but enough for me to see the "double-plunger" design and allow me to clean with a dental probe. A quick check with a meter showed contact, so reassembled.

Then my biggest lesson - make sure you are pressing hard enough on the brake pedal to engage the switch!! It seems that I had been treating it like my wife's car was the only problem. I works great now, but I did tuck the paperclip in the toolbag.

Then, I had a chance to go for a solo ride to do a little exploring - and had a chance to use diff-lock - which was just like dose of crack! She went up/over/down with no hint of straining, which now has me brainwashed into thinking that no other vehicle is acceptable - I'll have to have a Rover or nothing! I don't know, maybe there's a rehab program for this, but until then - mI need another fix!! Russ

Old 09-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

You can accomplish the same thing without contorting under the dash.
Use that paperclip to jumper the 3rd brake light connector and rear defrost connector on the cargo door glass.
While in the drivers seat push the Rear Defrost switch and you'll be able to shift out of Park.

The following 2 users liked this post by fishEH:
BobE (07-15-2018), partsguru (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Mudding

That reminds me - figure out the rear defrost before winter. I did see that post and tried it but was not getting power from defrost - I'm assuming there is probably a relay/timer involved. Thanks for the reminder though! Russ

Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Follow the defrost electron trail in the Rave's ETM, it's all there. If you can read a volt/ohm meter your 90% done. I believe the issue might be with the MFU.......

Old 09-16-2015, 07:05 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Regarding the rear defrost...... it could simply be a bad and/or corroded defrost switch. Some can be cleaned with deoxit type products. Sometimes a new switch is needed.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Well, I guess I got too cocky - started up fine after work, pulled around to the front of the store to check the door ... and it wouldn't move out of park!
Manually depressed stoplight switch several times by hand with no change, pushed defrost switch on a whim - and it lit! - so, bypassed to high mounted stop light and went home. Got too busy to check after work and rushing to work this morning. Noticed defroster switch was lit, so just took off for work (only 2 blocks) - when I got there, it wouldn't shut off (the engine), until I pulled the defrost jumper. Worked fine at lunch - just now opening the manuals, but any thoughts? Russ

Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 PM
Mudding

I see connections through "MFU" - does that mean turn signal switch? Russ

Old 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Mudding

Sorry , I was wrong - not turn sig switch - I'll continue the process! Russ

Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Sounds like maybe a dirty defrost switch. Turn the defrost off after shifting from Park.
All this driving you're doing, you sure you have brake lights??
Time to brake (haha) down and buy a new brake light switch for $20-30.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Quick Reply: Shift Interlock lesson