Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Listen to Jake, he knows his shiz. He's bought, sold, mounted, and changed more suspension parts than I ever hope to.
Most likely you're shock towers are just fine. I live in the rust belt and mine were fine. You don't need -2" HD towers, etc. DO install new shock tower retaining rings. These do rust pretty good and its easy to shear off the studs.
Buy the lift from Justin and run it. See what you can do with it. See what you CAN'T do with it. Decide what you want to do with it. Go from there. The nice thing is there's always a market for used suspension parts to lessen the impact of buying new stuff. If you're shrewd with you're initial buying you can upgrade later with little to no out of pocket cost.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Well my shocks and springs are shot. Might as well just do it, I mean why not? And I do some off roading with friends. It's not like it only sees the high way or paved roads.
You made it sound like you drive it to work and school only.

The TF kit with pro sports is the way to go (not that I havent said it 100 times) Leave your sway bars on if it's on the road 75% or more

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Listen to Jake, he knows his shiz. He's bought, sold, mounted, and changed more suspension parts than I ever hope to.
Most likely you're shock towers are just fine. I live in the rust belt and mine were fine. You don't need -2" HD towers, etc. DO install new shock tower retaining rings. These do rust pretty good and its easy to shear off the studs.
Buy the lift from Justin and run it. See what you can do with it. See what you CAN'T do with it. Decide what you want to do with it. Go from there. The nice thing is there's always a market for used suspension parts to lessen the impact of buying new stuff. If you're shrewd with you're initial buying you can upgrade later with little to no out of pocket cost.
In fact I have to go get these radius arm bushings off for you riiigggght now. (sorry it rained all day yesterday)

Nothing in the worlds sucks as bad as tightening up a rust turret ring and having it snap off.. then you have to take it all apart again. Sucks.

I have seen some rusted out towers out here in PA but most of them are fine.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
In fact I have to go get these radius arm bushings off for you riiigggght now. (sorry it rained all day yesterday)

Nothing in the worlds sucks as bad as tightening up a rust turret ring and having it snap off.. then you have to take it all apart again. Sucks.

I have seen some rusted out towers out here in PA but most of them are fine.
I think the rear upper shock mount might be worse. Those can be a real bear to get the nuts off. Go to fast and heat that stud up and SNAP! Mine sheared, fortunately there was enough left to get a nut on securely.
Even if your towers are rusty, you can get a good used set for cheap. I have a set if you need some.

Jake, whenever you get to the bushings is cool.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No sorry I was just emphasizing there was no reason to get an expedition type vehicle when you would only be driving it in town most of the time. Yeah I use it for school and work but I also like to go camping. Ride off-road with some friends etc etc. I'm definitely going for the Pro Sport Shock/HD Coil combo for sure. I was just asking about shock towers and stuff. I mean I really want to turn this into a fun thing that can go anywhere. If it gets crappy gas milage I mean 12mpg wasn't a lot to start with anyways haha. This won't be a DD forever.