Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH

I'm new to these forums though I've been a registered member for a bit...lurked, read posts, etc. Well I'm now getting close to purchasing a Rover. Previously, 1998ish I had a '96 Disco SE7 which I enjoyed thoroughly. Unfortunately for me I was a bit naive and assumed the majority of high end car dealers were trustworthy...not the case but it's a long story that still gets me hot under the collar today. Anyway, I digress. Loved the Disco, ready for another Rover.

Purpose of the vehicle is primarily fun for some mild to moderate offroading (not crawling), some winter driving....a project for my son and I. But he's very young so I'm not looking for a project per se but rather a vehicle that needs some minor TLC and possible some upgrades, then I'll do typical maintenance, repairs, etc so he can learn proper car care. I race cars also and would plan to tow my race car possibly a few times per year. Not far, a few hours, light trailer, light car...probably 5000lbs all in, another 1000lbs in gear/persons. Is this feasible or is it just too much? I don't expect it to tow like a SD truck, I understand the compromise, I'm more worried about whether the vehicle is up to the task. I previously towed a significant amount with a 5.0l Explorer so I gotta believe the Rover would be no worse and I'm fine with that.

I've always wanted an RRC for this purpose (the off roading part) and looking around it seems there are many available in my price range ($3-5k, prefer closer to 3). But I have always liked the Disco's ever since I had mine. There are many, many of these available in this price range and and it appears a large number of those are in pretty good shape. I'm looking at one in particular now ('97) which has a pretty fresh engine (rebuilt, checking details), some decent upgrades (springs/dampers, tires, lights, snorkel) and it's sharp looking (pics anyway).

So what are the pros/cons of one vs the other? Mainly concerned about axles, suspension, chassis, etc. Any reason to avoid a 5spd Disco? I've mainly been browsing craigslist as I find some of these forums frustrating (sooo many ads to sift to find something interesting), any other good places to look?

Oh, and is there any reason to consider a manual over an auto or vice versa?

Any help, opinions, info, etc is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack

Last edited by RacerX; 01-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 5-speed is going to be hard to find, very few sold in the NAS market.
For $3k you can get a decent one that is driveable, needs work, around 150k on the clock.
There are tons of them here in West MI.

The RRC and the DI are basically the same truck but all of the RRC's will have a distributor instead of electronic ignition and of course more rust because they are older.

Both will do what you want.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Spike, I know where to get a 5sp 96 right now. It's not a driver in my eyes but good for a few parts. Owner was asking too much for it and didn't know Rovers, not to budge on his $1k price so I passed on it like a squirrel with a tail fire. 160+k on the clock, hit in the rear hard, bent frame, wrinkled the quarters. I offered $300, same as the crusher. I'll let it stew. I was honest, his working parts are all rebuild candidates, not worth his asking price by a long shot. I would have to tow it home, replace the clutch since he doesn't know when it was changed, resurface the disc, throw out, rebuild the master and slave, and most importantly remove the engine which also needs a rebuild.

Point is it doesn't have to be a stock equipped 5sp, it can be made into one. I've driven one and to be honest I like the auto better. You'll hear stories of them going south but when so many of them where sold with autos the average is on the auto's side. Tough little BMW reworked auto, probably the best ignored part bar none.

John, if you can find a 95RRC in decent shape I'd consider it. From the inside they look exactly like the Disco. LWB will give you the 4.2. 95's are tough to find but worth the time investment in good shape, low miles. The Hunter Edition will give you a few factory off road parts and is lighter than the usual SWB Classics. It's a basic model and it's always been my favorite. If money where no object I'd punch out the 3.9 on a Hunter, give the rest of the driveline a good rework, lift it properly and call it a day.

I've always liked the look of the Classics versus the Disco's with their king seating humped roof lines. Like mini Greyhound buses, look like fat ***** from the rear, perfect from the front.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

I agree with IHScouts 100%, the ZF autobox was used in the BMW 3 and 5 series as well as Jag's, they just changed the shift points.
It is bullet proof, how many of them our out there with the original fluid in them and still going.
I like the "hard dash" RRC's, when I was in the market for my first LR there was one for sale just south of Kalkaska, 3" lift, 33" tires, green but he wanted to much money for it and the rear window frame was rusted, just like them all and that was before I knew it could be replaced.
If you get one with a 5-speed it will drive like a truck and your MPG wont be any better.
Its kinda difficult to eat a double bacon cheese burger while texting and drinking a Pepsi and shifting your truck all at the same time.

I'm looking for a spare MAF IHS, if you find one let me know.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Will do, always on the lookout for spares. I found the 96 behind a restaurant last week, four flats, filthy in/out and abandoned looking. Turned out to be the owners. Wasn't listed. I asked if he needed a mechanic or wanted to sell. His story after my offer was he had a kid willing to make payments that worked for him. I said I hope it doesn't kill em as I walked out the door. I'll probably get a call soon..........

Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

Thats the best way to get this things for cheap spares.
What restaurant was it?
Thats how I got "The Donor", just stopped and asked, worse they can do is say no.
Down here most DI's are either crushed or overpriced.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I've driven one and to be honest I like the auto better. You'll hear stories of them going south but when so many of them where sold with autos the average is on the auto's side. Tough little BMW reworked auto, probably the best ignored part bar none.
they definitely drive like a truck transmission. it doesnt suddenly become a sports car because you can row your own gears hah

and good fluid really improves the shift quality.

mpg should be a hair better (getting it to top gear on the highway sooner). around town im sure its a wash.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Camel Trophy

What I found with the 5sp is the longish throw tight pattern makes it almost easy to miss a gear. Bugged me that I had to think about shifting. Noticed no difference in how the truck slogged it's way to into the wind, just like the auto. What I did like was that I could put the motor in the right rpm range to get the most out of the little engine that could. A little timid about hitting 4k since I didn't know how well everything was held together but it did it without complaint and smoothly. This was with a 95 3.9. 4k shifts would wear this motor down to rebuild condition pretty quick if the maintenance wasn't kept up. I don't know, the whole concept of these trucks reminds me of the old steam threshers that used heavy flywheel momentum.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Near Chum's Corners on S. Division (US31) on the left side of the entrance to Wuerfel Park. Dead as a doornail, don't think they're doing so good this time of year, it was lunchtime when I stopped in. Chicken mostly, owner was in his early thirties.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'll not avoid a 5spd but I'm not going to limit myself to that, too many autos to choose from.

Now I keep thinking I'd prefer an RRC but what are any mechanical differences between the 2...as far as pros/cons of one vs the other...anything? Thinking of axles, tcase, diffs, etc. I thought a lot of that stuff was interchangeable. I'd prefer a SWB but it's not a requirement. Would love to find a Hunter Edition but they seem to be not so common. Regardless of what I end up with I'd like to ditch the power seats in favor of manual anyway.

There's a decent looking RRC up in TC but from the pics, based on others I've seen, it looks to be a little high priced. There are several Discos around me down here and I'm willing to travel south to get something as well. Seems there are few in the Indy area which is totally doable. Same around Chicago but I'd certainly prefer to avoid the rust belt if possible.

Anyway, any additional help, comments, and info on RRC vs Disco I would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jack

Quick Reply: Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH