Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Near Chum's Corners on S. Division (US31) on the left side of the entrance to Wuerfel Park. Dead as a doornail, don't think they're doing so good this time of year, it was lunchtime when I stopped in. Chicken mostly, owner was in his early thirties.
I grew up in Interlochen and my parents now live in Northport, I'm up north many times each year.

Jack

Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i will say one thing, the more I look at interior shots of the RRC vs the Disco, it sure looks like the RRC has a ton more room. Is this an optical illusion or no?

Cheers.

Jack

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacerX
Well I'll not avoid a 5spd but I'm not going to limit myself to that, too many autos to choose from.
that was my feeling when shopping as well, i wouldnt turn down a clean auto, or jump at a thrashed 5spd.
i just happened to end up with the best of both worlds (IMO).

i dont find the shift throw to be any different than any other truck transmission. standard slow shifting applies, its not a race car hah

Old 11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

This one;95 RANGE ROVER LWB

I'd be glad to look it over for you.......

Same width, just as tight.

Interlochen, suburb of TC. Northport, M22 point of interest.

I grew up in Livonia, partied in Brighton, Northville, Novi, Farmington, F Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham.....blah blah blah

When I worked for HP as a Unix Admin in 07 I lived in West Bloomfield on Pleasant Lake and worked in Dearborn, right across from the Ford HQ. Better times back then........left down there when the economy tanked and jobs went elsewhere. Moved near my family since they all moved up here. I now live on Indian Lake which road adjoins with Spider Lake.

If you head over to Land Rovers Only .com Army Rover has his Hunter for sale in Chicagoland. It's mod'd up right. He just bought a 110 wagon so I'm sure he'd be interested in offers.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Camel Trophy

To me a truck tranny is an Allison close ratio 10 speed and you'd better have excellent aim and quick timing. Aint no long throw on that swizzle stick.

I'd wouldn't kick an R380 out of bed either, that's why I was willing to buy the 96......all to swap over to my truck and rebuild his motor to use in mine. I'd do a little work to quicken the pokey stick so I wouldn't be hunting. Not looking for a Ferrari but it's not THAT big of a truck to begin with. I like not thinking, it's my hobby.

The guy was adamant about the 96 being the last year of the R380......I just laughed.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Virtually everything from a RRC and DI are interchangeable, the t-case is different as the RRC t-case is chain driven and not gear driven like the DI.
The chain is supposed to be changed every 70k or so, its a cheap kit to buy, under $100 but nobody ever changes it, it wont break, it just stretch's really bad.
The DI t-case is solid as a ships anchor, people have filled it with ATF (what every American t-case uses) and ran it for years.
Others have ran it bone dry, seized the bearings on the output shafts, filled it back up and kept going.
The only problem with the DI t-case is it is prone to leaks and gear lash from wear.
If it has power seats you cant go manual or vis versa, the floor panels are different.
But if you are tall you can get more leg room by taking the seat tracks and turning them 180*, this will give you 6" more leg room.
Short guys like me dont do that, we have the seat all the way forward.
All RRC's came with 4 wheel SLS (self leveling suspension) and at this age it should have been converted to springs.
Take your time and find a good runner, the rest is a non issue.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
To me a truck tranny is an Allison close ratio 10 speed and you'd better have excellent aim and quick timing. Aint no long throw on that swizzle stick.
allison doesnt make any manual transmissions, i assume youre thinking eaton? 10spds are terrible to drive.

anyway, the throw on my R380 never struck me as odd, its a truck after all! hah
maybe something was worn out in the one you drove?

Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 11-10-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Allison makes a 10 speed manual. It's pretty rare from what the mechs said. It's a class 8 tranny. You find them behind dual axle MaxxForce9 Internationals. I called it the Cement Mixer, way over geared for the loads we carried. It was always a pleasure after I drove that truck to hop into my auto equipped Disco.

Yeah maybe the 95 I played with was well worn in, exact mileage was unknown because the dash card had been replaced. No telling, it's now pop cans. I have secretly wanted a manual since I bought my truck because my Scouts where both manuals. Those DID shift like a truck and the sticks where on the floor, not in a console eh.....

Last edited by ihscouts; 11-11-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Winching

not sure why ive never heard of that... i do transmission integration for one of the OEMs, only class 8 stuff , curious what model number that would be.

edit, totally derailed this thread hah

Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 11-11-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH