Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
There is a RRC for sale here in GR, to much money but low miles.
1993 Land Rover Range Rover County - Your Search Stops Here - $8998 (grand rapids)
If you're looking for a project I know of a '95 that might be for sale or trade.
That's nice looking but about 3x what I'm looking to spend. Plus I'm looking for something that is a little more project like. I'm still bugging ArmyRover about this, I think it's right up my alley.

I'm getting eager though, I want to be able to do some wheeling in the early spring for certain.

Cheers.

Jack

Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Mudding

Ugh, I'm still shopping. I've missed a couple that really would have fit the bill, I guess timing is everything. Still looking at a couple but price or work needed is sort of a turn off. I've got cash in hand if anyone is selling or knows of something for sale. Leaning towards D1 but am still actively looking at RRC's.

Anyone got anything?

Cheers.

Jack

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Jake. He is selling his RRC. He has done quite a bit of work to it mechanically and it has a 2" OME lift, 265 MTs, QT hd steering and a few other goodies. I beleive he wants 3k for it. Not sure how far from Ankeny, Iowa you are though.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CUpgt
PM Jake. He is selling his RRC. He has done quite a bit of work to it mechanically and it has a 2" OME lift, 265 MTs, QT hd steering and a few other goodies. I beleive he wants 3k for it. Not sure how far from Ankeny, Iowa you are though.
I'd deliver to Chicago area

Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Hell yeah you will!!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Details?

Jack

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Details?

Jack
From Dweb listing:
DiscoWeb Message Boards

Time to let one go... I have found another toy I'd like

The good/recent work
New radiator
New plugs, wires, cap and rotor
Gear oil changed in the diffs and t-case less than 1k ago
New optima red top battery
Recently rebuilt alternator
New kicker speakers (to be installed or included with sale)
Also has a nice head unit and I have some other goodies I can include if you're into aftermarket stereo stuff.
Valley pan gasket replaced
New wipers
most coolant hoses are new
Ford 19# fuel injectors
leaky steering box replaced with a D1 unit
dog guard
and probably much more that I am just forgetting to mention

I also have some spares/extras
Belts
Power steering pump
Fuel pump
waterpump
brand new lucas coil
fuel filter

Off road goodies
265/75/15 Fierce Attitude MT's, nice quiet mud tires over half tread left
Terrafirma shocks and OME MD duty springs
HD QT steering
Hella 3k's
diff guards for the front and rear
And this truck comes with an LT230

The bad
When I got the truck it had been neglected so it is not in perfect shape.
The drivers side quarter panel is wrinkled. I have a lead on a replacement I can include with sale. Rear upper tailgate is rusted also have a replacement for that.. Windshield has a crack. Coolant tube on the intake is leaking and will need to be fixed. I will fix it if I have time. Small interior pieces need attention it's not a huge deal just know it's not perfect.
Also needs an alignment which I will include with full asking price

Please PM if you are interested and I cant send you pics. I'd like 3k OBO at this point.

I dont NEED to sell it but I'd like to send it off to a good home. All spares and extras come with full asking price. Will also entertain partial trade of tube bender, quality ~60 gal air compressor, plasma cutter and guns

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Mudding

Probably getting a bit off topic but pros/cons of an '88 vs say a '92 or '93? I prefer the SWB RRC so the '95 doesn't really hold much interest in particular to me. I'm very handy, am used to working cars/trucks so not a concern, just wondering if there are any real differences in a given model year of the same "chassis."

Thanks.

Jack

Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RacerX
Probably getting a bit off topic but pros/cons of an '88 vs say a '92 or '93? I prefer the SWB RRC so the '95 doesn't really hold much interest in particular to me. I'm very handy, am used to working cars/trucks so not a concern, just wondering if there are any real differences in a given model year of the same "chassis."

Thanks.

Jack
Hey Jack,

Biggest pro (in my opinion) is the LT230 transfer case. It has the 3.5L 13CU which is known for being one of the best versions of the engine for reliability. Con of the engine is that it's also the smallest of the fuel injected rover engines (not that you can tell a huge difference vs a 3.9) The interior is different than the later models a little more retro and it has the exposed door hinges, fuel filler is located a little lower, etc. The 88 came without sway bars and ABS. It's the easiest rover to work on by far. My favorite part about this RRC is the retro look. The older models are being more rare and I was hoping to sell this truck to somebody who could spend the time on it to restore it back to nearly original condition like I had planned to. I felt like owning this truck was a bit like owning a piece of history

Cons - is that it's a 25 year old truck. The frame is solid and I replaced one of the floor pans in the front and sealed it all up but it does have some surface rust that could be touched up. It needs attention to some of the small things and TLC but if I was going to build another truck it would be a 87-88 RRC.

1988 Range Rover - site with a bunch of specs

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3626436918.html - you can call me with any questions

Last edited by Jake1996D1; 02-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Mudding

Definitely like the tcase set up, I'd swap that in if I were to pick up a later RRC anyway. The last LR I had was a '96 Disco many years ago, back in '98 actually, and that was before I was as handy as I am now so I didn't really take advantage of owning that though I did enjoy it as it was meant to be (off road that is). I'm somewhat concerned about the power output of the engine.....it's down a solid 40ft-lbs of torque compared to a '92+ engine. Is this really a big deal? I realize these things are not speed demons on the road but seems like power off road is still a good thing. Then again the series trucks are certainly not, uh, over powered. I guess given the age it'd be easy enough to swap in a later motor down the road yes?

I'm torn and I go back and forth......I don't have a lot of real experience with LR's so I lean towards Disco but I love the RRC and when I see one outfitted the way I dream of it really stirs something. I do a lot of stuff with BMW's and have always been more attracted to (and have more experience with) the E30's (80's).

I see 2 different ads with 2 different prices.....??

Got more pics....you mention some rust, some repaired rust...do you have the replacement fenders and tailgate then?

Thanks for the info and responses. I much prefer to purchase from a forum member whom others recommend vs just picking something off of craigslist or similar.

Cheers.

Jack

Quick Reply: Shopping for D1 or RRC in SEMICH