Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Short HD OME install and review..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Short HD OME install and review..

Just for those who were wondering I only had it for 1 day so far.

But it was quite simple.. Id recomend doing front together and back togegther but some people do it side by side.

I already had my sway bars removed, so Im not sure how they would come into play. I dont see them changing much.

Im only writing this for people who may think this is more than they can handle.. It took me probably 3 hours. And the tools needed are minimal.
----------
Basically all you need is..

-19mm Speed Wrench to remove shock [regular is fine, but it will take you a while]

-13mm ratchet with extensions [remove shock mount.]

-17mm speed wrench and pair of channel locks [or second 17mm wrench] to remove rear spring retainers.

-Pipe or strap wrench to hold shock in place.

-Floor jack is much easier and safer.. Desperate people can use bottle jack and bricks or wood [dangerous.]

-2 jackstands or agian you can use blocks and wood but.. dangerous.

To install springs its helpful to have a second person.
----------

To remove front:

-Lock Center differential, and or chock rear wheels, place in park and pull emergency brake

-Loosen Front Lugs. I use 1 1/8" socket

- Jack up axle. Its hard to place a large floor jack in the center of the axle due to the differential. Placing slightly to the right [close to center] is fine, one side will lift a little higher/sooner than the other.

- Place jack stands under frame

- Remove wheels and slide under vehicle for extra safety

- Remove one 19mm NUT from axle shock mount. Using pipe wrench to hold in place.

- Remove air filter box/maf sensor to access shock tower.

- Loosen 4 13mm bolts around shock tower two from engine bay two from wheel well.

- Remove shock tower along with shock up through engine bay. Try not to loose the lock washers

- Disconnect ABS wires [connector is mounted in engine bay ontop of wheel well]

- Lower floor jack/axle keep an eye on the brake lines not to over extend them but fronts shouldn't be a problem.

- Give a little tug on springs and they should come right out. Remove both sides. Shock Tower retainers should come out with springs

- Grab new springs [OME are marked for front/back passenger/rear]

- Place shock tower retainer back in position and use two nuts to hold it in place.

- Put new springs in place, lower axle as low as possible without extending brake lines and they should go in easily.

- Installation is reverse of removal.

-----------------------------------------------

To remove Rear.

- Jack up axle. Its hard to place a large floor jack in the center of the axle due to the differential. Placing slightly to the right [close to center] is fine, one side will lift a little higher/sooner than the other.

- Place jack stands under frame

- Remove wheels and slide under vehicle for extra safety

- Remove one 19mm NUT from axle shock mount. Using pipe wrench to hold in place.

- Lower rear axle untill it is hanging [rear springs take more effort]Watch brake likes for now keep a little slack

- Remove two 17mm Bolts/Nuts using 1 speedwrench and 17mm wrench or Channel Locks

- Remove spring retainer

- Remove spring with isolator and lower...part

- Place spring isolator on new spring.

TIP. I took two wood clamps

And used them to compress the spring slightly. Very slightly

- Lower axle as much as possible brake lines will get pretty tight.

- Place lower.... part back on axle

- Put spring top end in first

- I needed a friend to step on the axle to give it that much more room to get the spring in. Brake lines were VERY tight.

- Remove wood camps

- Installation is reversal of removal.

Only part I needed someones help was to align shocks while raising axle and push down rear axle to get new springs in.

Installing shocks is self explanatory
---------------------------

Drivers side rear 34 1/4" +2.5
Drivers side front 34" +2.25
Passenger Side Front 33 3/8" +1.6
Passenger Side Rear 33 1/2" +1.75

With Drivers weight front drivers side lowers 1/2 inch.

----------------------------

BEFORE

DURING
Name:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  116.3 KB
AFTER
Name:  IMG_0151.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  130.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  184.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0142.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  211.2 KB

--------------------------------

Review..

Anyone who ever said this ride was too stiff. Is wrong, and probably never experienced it. Dont bother with the medium suspension. This ride is perfect. Only thing I can see making the ride harsh is HEAVY duty shocks. I used stock shocks and honestly MIGHT replace them because I removed sway bars. If I still had them There would be no reason to. Ride is NOT bouncy, and passes the rocking test. Maybe for longer travel? I haven't maxed out the shocks yet...

Helpful Videos

2" OME INSTALL

Front End Suspension

Rear End Suspension

Last edited by Spencerfitch; 11-07-2010 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (03-25-2015)
Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What brand of coils did you install, who's shocks?
You always use HD shocks on a Disco to help control the top heaviness. It is too bad you used factory shocks, they are the worst just under Pro-Comps, the 2 shocks of choice are OME and Bilstein.
I may be confused, are you saying since your sway bars have been removed, you might also remove your shocks, please clarify.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What brand of coils did you install, who's shocks?
You always use HD shocks on a Disco to help control the top heaviness. It is too bad you used factory shocks, they are the worst just under Pro-Comps, the 2 shocks of choice are OME and Bilstein.
I may be confused, are you saying since your sway bars have been removed, you might also remove your shocks, please clarify.
OME..

Ill get around to shocks, but I was saying I don't see them as CRITICAL if you have the sway bars still on your vehicle. I was saying I would get some shocks to help with some highway "sway" and to hush some people up.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you remove the brake calipers you can extend the axles farther to remove/install the springs.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you remove the brake calipers you can extend the axles farther to remove/install the springs.
AH!! I knew I wasn't thinking!! But the brake lines are at the center of the axle, so eh..

I was about to clamp off the brake line and just disconnect them. I have done that before.. Simply bleed after, no issues.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up.

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I have bookmarked it and plan on using it.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
on a chevy truck..... These have hard lines running on the axle. The flex lines do not run to the caliper...

Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know when I installed my lift I never took the shock towers off. I just jacked the axle down far enough (i was installing new brake lines so they were removed) that I could unbolt the top and bottom of the shock itself and remove it with the spring. I never did one on the ground so that might not be possible????? Plus I was installing OME 764f an 763r that would equall about 3" lift I measured that day it only lifted about 2" a week later I measured it raised the truck about 3 1/2" im still trying to figure that one out.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did my terrafirma...i measure 36" up front and 35.25" in the back...i hope it settles a bit....it started as 32.50" all around...my suspension was shooooot