Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Should I do all this rust repair myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for those of you who haven't...it's super refreshing to hose out your truck. a couple tender spots with some electronics but most of it's spray and play.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Pro Wrench

Disappointing but dealable.

In some areas the paint bubbled to varying degrees. I should sand it lightly and repaint. It seems to have bubbled on the second coat...which is weird. Mostly it will be covered in diamond plate (black looks good in the product pic?) but I'm going for a good seal.

This stuff is supposed to be the POR15 killer at a much cheaper price point. Supposedly it was developed by a scientist who did POR15.

If I did a couple jobs with it, no doubt I would solve the bubbling problem permanently.

Next steps are locate diamond plate, marine caulk (3M 5200), panel adhesive, tie down hardware and floor insulation.

This looks cheap and potentially effective:

*** OCT SALE *** 1/4" 4'X6' AUTOMOTIVE CAR INSULATION FOR UNDER CARPET | eBay

Attached Thumbnails Should I do all this rust repair myself-kbs.jpg   Should I do all this rust repair myself-2011-10-24_07-54-18_354.jpg   Should I do all this rust repair myself-unknown-1-.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good my friend, very good. Keep up the great work. The insulation blanket sounds good, you might ought to get enough to bond to all the interior sheet metal ( side walls, and top) especially right over the cab area. That would stop thermal gain from the sun thru the roof. Especially if you plan to paint it black like you have said before.

I did not notice if you still had headliner in. I completely removed mine due to the fabric disengtegrating with age and do not plan on putting it back in. The roof area right over the drivers head has some light surface rust where it looks like it may have leaked and possibly been fixed before I got it. The inside surface of the metal is painted white in some areas, just primer i guess (gray) in others. You can see how sloppy LR was in applying the sealant on those inside ribs to the roof panel.

I was thinking about cleaning and treating the surface, then applying something like the blanket you showed, then putting some White Marine Grade Vinyl that I have over that, butting just doing small sections at a time from rib to rib. I like having access to the sun roof motors and have cleaned up the excess unused wiring behind the headliner.

Your Disco would be cooler from less outside thermal gain thru the roof and sides and quieter as well with a layer of insulation on all the bare metal panels. They say they will ship more on one roll for just a few bucks more shipping.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-26-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench

thanks for the complement. I'm torn on the roof color. Practically, a white roof would be best with heat (i will most definitely use the insulation on the roof) and black will be bad. But i don't like that of course. I wonder if I could go two tone w/ aluminum color...diamond plate floors and aluminum or galvanized color roofing. I need to figure it out fast but I'm going with the product line I used for the floor.

Color chip is from the supplier.

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM

I was watching Chip Foose on his TV show where they totally redo cars for people. They did a 65 Chevy II for a young family that the wife passed away from cancer and the mechanic husband had 3 kids to take care of. She had named the car Casper the friendly Ghost. It was white.

They redid it with white body and a silver top and hood panels accented in electric blue stripes and replaced the chrome Chevy II emblem with custom made ones that read CASPER. Looked very sharp.

The silver top would be good for reflecting the heat. I have also seen sand colored tops on them that looked good. I like a nice two tone. My Bronco was red and white two tone, looked sharp. My dads 60 wagon was aquamarine and white.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Hey Bro, tried to PM you again, your box is full. Knock 10 off to adjust for shipping estimate. Let me know if there is something local you may want as well since box has room and weight limit is like 70 pounds. The guards weigh a fraction of that.

Want a Steeler Hat?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

talking to me?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench

I would have no problem theoretically wearing a Steelers hat. I like old Steelers better than recent ones but ok. Or Pirates hat. But no thanks. No Atlanta or Phillies tho. Just saying. These mailbox's dont hold much eh.

Why Calebbo..you want my Steelers hat?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Yeah, I like the old Steel Curtain days, Terry Bradshaw and company. Back then the quarterbacks ran the ball too.