Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Should I get a Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a Disco?

Hi Land Rover Forum!
I'm hoping to get some advice on my internal back and fourth about a car decision. I want a Series I Discovery with all of my heart, genuinely I have love Land Rovers ever since I was little. I would use it to do some off roading and tow a small ATV with it. However, people tell me to run far away to something cost effective, reliable, but overall bland and unoriginal. I love the lines, capability, and old world charm of the Discovery but the reliability horror stories scare me, I'm going off to college and I don't want to be stuck with a money pit.
So my questions would be:

1. Are they really as unreliable as they say?

2. Is a 2004 Discovery more reliable?

3. I have a 2003 Jaguar XJ8 and it has tiny faults but nothing that proper care cant fix, is this the truth with Land Rovers?

Any additional information would be great and if you need more specifics let me know.

Thank you for your help!
-Mudjag03

Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to Land Rovers and long in Jaguars. The Land Rover is a big, heavy truck that rides more like a limousine than a truck. Super heavy duty with suspension, steering and drive components like a 3500 series Ford/Chevy. If you want a toy to go mudding with, go buy a Jeep. If you want a great vehicle to get you through college, buy a Land Rover.

I just delivered a '96 Discovery significant rebuilt with OEM parts to a 18 year old grandson with the admonition that that day was the end of his childhood. He was to from this day forward an adult and should act accordingly.

With that said, the cost of any significant vehicle repairs at an Indy or dealer these days would turn off almost anyone. Personally, I cannot imagine being able to drive any vehicle that I couldn't repair myself.

If you can't deal with that and/or want to significantly extend your childhood, go buy a Jeep.

Last edited by TestPoint; 01-13-2016 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mudjag03 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine

Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 PM
7th Gear

Error

Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Drifting

Look me up on Facebook you can see pictures of the old d90

Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TestPoint
I am new to Land Rovers and long in Jaguars. The Land Rover is a big, heavy truck that rides more like a limousine than a truck. Super heavy duty with suspension, steering and drive components like a 3500 series Ford/Chevy. If you want a toy to go mudding with, go buy a Jeep. If you want a great vehicle to get you through college, buy a Land Rover.

I just delivered a '96 Discovery significant rebuilt with OEM parts to a 18 year old grandson with the admonition that that day was the end of his childhood. He was to from this day forward an adult and should act accordingly.

With that said, the cost of any significant vehicle repairs at an Indy or dealer these days would turn off almost anyone. Personally, I cannot imagine being able to drive any vehicle that I couldn't repair myself.

If you can't deal with that and/or want to significantly extend your childhood, go buy a Jeep.
Thank You.
I defiantly don't want a Jeep, not a jeep guy at all but I see where your coming from. I probably won't be doing much mud bogging I'm more of a technical terrain kind of guy. I agree Rovers do drive amazing, my grandma had a Classic then two P38s a 2006 L322 then a 2013 L322 and now she drives an evoque and my grandfather had a D90, That is what got me hooked on these fantastic machines!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Reyesahr
Look me up on Facebook you can see pictures of the old d90
It Says the link is broken

Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Reyesahr@gmail.com look it up using my email

Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 PM
7th Gear

[QUOTE=Reyesahr;550090]Reyesahr@gmail.com look it up using my email[/QUOTE
Still Nothing

Old 01-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudjag03
Hi Land Rover Forum!
I'm hoping to get some advice on my internal back and fourth about a car decision. I want a Series I Discovery with all of my heart, genuinely I have love Land Rovers ever since I was little. I would use it to do some off roading and tow a small ATV with it. However, people tell me to run far away to something cost effective, reliable, but overall bland and unoriginal. I love the lines, capability, and old world charm of the Discovery but the reliability horror stories scare me, I'm going off to college and I don't want to be stuck with a money pit.
So my questions would be:

1. Are they really as unreliable as they say?

2. Is a 2004 Discovery more reliable?

3. I have a 2003 Jaguar XJ8 and it has tiny faults but nothing that proper care cant fix, is this the truth with Land Rovers?

Any additional information would be great and if you need more specifics let me know.

Thank you for your help!
-Mudjag03
Yes, they're "unreliable." What this really means is they have a variety of flaws, most of which are relatively minor, and they demand a high level of maintenance. Because they were originally marketed in the US towards the high-end of the SUV market, the flaws and maintenance demands had an effect of turning the original owners off. They dumped them and many second owners tried to get a luxury SUV for a bargain, without a readiness or willingness to pay in time and money what they require. Most of the vehicles on the market today are severely neglected in relation to their needs. They have low purchase prices, but you can expect relatively high total cost of ownership if you keep it a year or more and use it much.

All Discovery II are more severe in the above mentioned respect compared to Discovery I. Discovery II are significantly more complex, have substantially more flaws, and higher maintenance demands. They were also far more popular with the wrong buyers, and continue today to attract people that think they will get a great vehicle for a low price. Discovery1 and Range Rover Classic may be older, more worn, and have more miles, but they were originally a simpler, more rugged vehicle that is easier to maintain.

The Land Rovers, even up to 2004 are probably more like an early 90's Jaguar like an X300. Your X350 is about two generations ahead in terms of what you could expect to find on a Discovery II. The Disco 1 is more like an XJ40.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Disco?