Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Should I get a Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

D1's are old. Any D1 will be in need of many new "wear" items.
Unless you find one that has been daily driven and well maintained you're in for a lot of repairs which will be both time consuming and expensive if you're not a DIY kind of guy. Even if you are DIY oriented the parts alone can really add up.
The gas alone really adds up, especially when gas prices push $4/gal.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I, too, had this same question a few months ago. Ended up getting a D1 (don't call it a series 1 )

The D1 is a surprisingly simple vehicle once you start finding your way around it. It's not overly difficult to work on, but some things that should be simple are not.

Yes, it'll probably have random strange things break... You'll lean on this forum for help; everybody here is super knowledgable and ready to help solve problems.

Regular use will be good for it, but it will require regular and intentional maintenance. Really, though... ANY vehicle this age will need the same.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:02 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for all of your responses keep them coming!

Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Should I get a Disco?

Yes.

There, that's another one.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 bucks a gallon lol

Old 01-15-2016, 01:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudjag03
I want a Series I Discovery with all of my heart, genuinely I have love Land Rovers ever since I was little.

2. Is a 2004 Discovery more reliable?
If you want a D1 why ask about D2s?

If on the fence between the two, best option would be to purchase a rust free, gently used, well maintained, and lower mileage '04 D2.

Maintenance and repair costs are usually high as on most high end vehicles unless you do your own work. Fat wallet or tools and a brain helpful.

The few known serious reliability issues some of these LRs have had can usually be prevented if one follows the good recommendations of others.

Just purchase, add gas, normal maintenance and aren't interested enough to learn about the vehicle, you're more likely to be stranded some time down the road.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyesahr
4 bucks a gallon lol
Gas will go back up eventually. The summer after I bought mine I was paying $4.55 for 93 (yes, you should be using high test). When it's close to $100 to fill up your DD that only gets 11-12 MPG around town, it hurts the wallet. I'm loving the sub $50 dollar fill ups now, but it won't last forever.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
Gas will go back up eventually. The summer after I bought mine I was paying $4.55 for 93 (yes, you should be using high test). When it's close to $100 to fill up your DD that only gets 11-12 MPG around town, it hurts the wallet. I'm loving the sub $50 dollar fill ups now, but it won't last forever.
Exactly.
My first choice for a typical college kid going away to school wouldn't be a D1. Sorry. Between fuel and maintenance costs of a 20 year old vehicle I think it'd be a pain.
I daily drive my '96, but its only 20 miles round trip. And my wife stays home so I can always drive our van if needed.
If you've got a Jag or something else to drive as backup then I say go for it. If you find an immaculate D1 that's regularly driven I say go for it.
If you buy your typical $700-3500 D1 I think you're going to have problems.
Elias Christeas in California always seems to have reasonably priced, well maintained, and good looking D1's for sale.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Listen to fishEH, there are not many others on this board who know more.

This is NOT the vehicle you should be looking for. You should be looking for a Camry or an Altima, something reliable and safe. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing, been pulling jeeps out of snowbanks for years; quite a capable machine. But the British are strong on ideas, weak on execution.

Do you have thousands of dollars of disposable income? Do you think you will have countless hours of free time to spend under the hood? I've been turning a wrench for 40 years, I was a mech in the army yet still this thing vexes me at every turn.

How are your troubleshooting skills? I know instantly when somethings up, and get on it as quick as possible. Discovery's epitomize "fix me now for $, fix me later for $$$$$$$". Do you have that luxury? I certainly didn't, when I was in college.

Part of growing up, becoming an adult, is looking at all of your options and making a good choice. Weighing; what do you NEED, versus what do you WANT.

By all means, grab one if you can; we will be happy to help when you run across the next issue.

But I believe you might have better things to spend your time on at this point in your life.

Just my humble opinion...

Old 01-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Coeds, beer and poker.... or translated - Exercise, calorie intake and financial responsibility.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Disco?