Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sloppy Steering On Freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sloppy Steering On Freeway?

Trying to hunt down the culprit for a steering issue I'm having. Steering is flawless at 60mph and under, though I do have a dead zone about 3" in each direction from center before I get action. Above 60mph if I hit a big bump or rough patch in the road, the wheel shakes like crazy, like loosening dental fillings kind of shaking. The vehicle itself stays on track though and doesn't wander, its just the wheel that shakes like crazy. I've checked everything underneath multiple times and can't find play anywhere, tie rod ends are new, steering damper is new Terra Firma, has all new power steering hoses, doesn't leak a drop of fluid. I've even checked the swivel pre load and set it based on the how to posted on here. Alignment and tire balance are also dead on as that was my original guess.

I don't do a ton of freeway driving but I'd like to not be the guy going 55 MPH in the 70mph zone holding up traffic on the occasion I have to travel the big roads. Where else could I look? Is there anything I may have missed underneath? Anyway to adjust the steering box itself? Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Steering damper has nothing to do with on road driving.
DI tech section, loose steering or something titled like that, there is a nut on the steering shaft that can come loose, tighten it.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After two deep glasses of single malt IRISH whiskey.....

I could have swore is said SLOPPY SECONDS ON THE FREEWAY

Carry on

Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If the steering nut does not do it, search for posts on "death wobble", again the steering damper does not fix this, a new one can only hide just a little of it.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Checked the nut and its dead tight as is every other nut on the shaft from the column to the box. The joints are nice and tight as well, honestly everything from the box up to the firewall looks recently replaced. I can rotate the steering wheel and the shaft responds instantly so I guess the dead zone isnt a result of anything from the wheel down to the steering box. What else should I check?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you adjusted the tightness on the steering box? There is a large nut with a threaded screw in the middle. You need to loosen the outer nut and then use an allen wrench to tighten down the screw. This will take some of the slop out of the steering wheel. Be careful not to over tighten as steering will get progressively harder and you will damage your power steering box prematurely.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BD_LR4
Have you adjusted the tightness on the steering box? There is a large nut with a threaded screw in the middle. You need to loosen the outer nut and then use an allen wrench to tighten down the screw. This will take some of the slop out of the steering wheel. Be careful not to over tighten as steering will get progressively harder and you will damage your power steering box prematurely.
That's next on my list and about the only thing I haven't tried. I'll have to give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. All of the slop is before/in the box, underneath everything looks perfect.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you start adjusting different items ,that may or may not be the problem, start with your wheel bearings, inspect all you tie rod ends all the bushings including the radius arms
and your alignment.
As for the shake, sure your steering dampener is shot but that is not the main issue.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
..though I do have a dead zone about 3" in each direction from center before I get action..
This should not be the case. It should feel tight, but not difficult to turn.

Have someone gently rock the wheel back and forth and look for where the play is. I had a lot of play in my steering after installing a new gearbox and pump. All I needed to do was adjust the gearbox backlash. YMMV

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Other than the dead spot in the steering (which I did not have), new front shocks solved symptoms very close to your description on my truck.

Quick Reply: Sloppy Steering On Freeway?