Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

small questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default small questions

My shifter is stuck in park, i narrowed down the problem to the gear selector interlock solenoid. I think it just finally failed, i know i can shift when i manually depress it.

I have brake lights, no blown fuses, jumping the brake switch wires changes nothing. I even tried a new switch.

Land rover has them, for $400, yeah freakin right.

Here is the small question, can i just remove it and not have any major problems?

I know i will be able to shift with out the key in and with out the brake depressed.

Oh and happy 4th of july, make sure you find one of your fighting brothers or sisters at arms and buy them a beer or two.

Semper fi

Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

From what I understand yes, you can remove the shift interlock and be just fine.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok got it out and got it all put back together, and it works, yes you can shift with out pressing the brake. Still cant find one to put back in so ill run with out for a bit. i did take some photos ill throw them up in a few days.

A couple notes for people with the same issue. You do not need to remove the metal plate the shift box sits on, the box will come out with some finagling.

keep track of your screws, i lost a couple and had to find some replacements.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post up the pics! i'm interested in how you did it.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Ditto, this is on my To Do list.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I didnt take great photos but i will type out a how i did it thinger.

images first.

Name:  ?action=view&current=IMG_0535.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1122.photobucket.com%2F.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  166.5 KB

Here is the housing the solenoid sits in, you have to remove the four screws on the corners of the side the solenoid is on. That entire side come off, make sure you seal it when you are done, water can get in from underneath.

Name:  ?action=view&current=IMG_0535.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1122.photobucket.com%2F.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  166.4 KB

here is the end goal, the gear selector interlock solenoid

And now a how to write up.

First make sure this is your problem, and its not something like your brake switch.

1) Remove the rubber top and trim bezel around the gear selector. Next pull up on the transfer case **** and unscrew it.

2) There are four screws at the corners of your center console. Two at the front and two in the storage bin. remove them. pop the top off your window and seat control, there are four screws on the switch plate, pull those out and remove the switches.

3) Remove the powered seat controls if you have them. Carefully pull up on the hand brake boot and remove the pin and lock clip for the brake cable.

4) now with all that un-hooked, and un-plugged, and removed the center console should come right out. As you pull it out youll get access to the power port in the front, pull the light and the plug off the back and your good to go. Now remove the console and get it out of the way.

5) the gear selector plastic piece has four screws, one at each corner. remove that. under it is the shifter linkage housing, it also has four screws and an alignment post on one side. remove the screws, now this will take some finagling to get out of the hole but it will come out.

6) Now that it is out you can un do the four screws at the corners of the side plate with the solenoid in it. Pull that plate and there is your problem solenoid. it has a clip on top of it, once that is removed it will come right out.

7) to reinstall everything, do it all backwards.

i think thats everything. sorry if i forgot anything.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Can't see the pics.