Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Wow, thanks for the info. So it's a day project basically. Is your sunroof still a functioning sunroof or is it completely immobile after you sealed it? Since I haven't attempted anything yet, what is the difficulty level of dropping/removing the headliner and once that is done, do you go ahead and have it recovered while it's down?
Thanks

Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Went to pull my alternator in prep for a valley pan job.
Anybody else see the problem?
Name:  20160502_164903_zpsu80y2gwz.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  121.2 KB
Somebody, when they installed the alternator last time, ran the lower bolt through nothing! The only thing holding the alt in was the upper bolt, LOL.

Valley pan gasket was pretty nasty.
Name:  20160502_174226_zpshljeudks.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  363.4 KB

And the passenger side rocker gasket was hard as a rock, it actually cracked in half.

I'm pressure washing the rocker covers at work tomorrow then slapping it back together.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Went to pull my alternator in prep for a valley pan job.
Anybody else see the problem?

Somebody, when they installed the alternator last time, ran the lower bolt through nothing! The only thing holding the alt in was the upper bolt, LOL.

Valley pan gasket was pretty nasty.

And the passenger side rocker gasket was hard as a rock, it actually cracked in half.

I'm pressure washing the rocker covers at work tomorrow then slapping it back together.
Well at least the alternator was easy to remove. I had another car that the alternator was installed during engine replacement (by a shop) and they put the bottom bolt in from the back...which was fine with the exhaust manifold off. Took me four hours to remove and twenty minutes to put back together

Old 05-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Wow, thanks for the info. So it's a day project basically. Is your sunroof still a functioning sunroof or is it completely immobile after you sealed it? Since I haven't attempted anything yet, what is the difficulty level of dropping/removing the headliner and once that is done, do you go ahead and have it recovered while it's down?
Thanks
I have a tendency to turn my projects in to week if not month projects... They both function and seal great. No issues and they operate like day 1. Dropping the headliner is not difficult at all. It helps to have a second person assist in removing it, and also to remove the rear seats and recline the fronts. First time doing it, I had it out in a couple hours without instructions. If the headliner needs repair then I would sorely advise doing it at the same time.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default coupling

replaced the rear drive shaft flex coupling. Old one was cracked and deteriorated quite a bit. don't know if it was the original or not or how long it wasa on there. Wasn't very hard to replace. A lot quicker than I anticipated. I went with a Europart replacement instead of the Land Rover one. We'll see if it was worth the savings; over the next few years

Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Removed the trailer wiring cluster f*** under the bumper and installed a twenty dollar converter from Walmart to the trailer harness in the pass rear. I left it inside the truck so it won't get caught on any brush or branches I run over

Old 05-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fought with my truck and lost. Who knew a rusted rear bumper step would put up such a fight. So, day shot and nothing to show for my efforts except receipts, sore arms and a Minion band aid. Time for a beer.

battle dressing

Old 05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I always wondered how those rear steps were held on? That bad huh..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

They're terrible. And the nut on the mounting bolt through the frame is so close to the gas tank you really don't want to be cutting on it.
I cut off as much of the bracket on mine as I could with an angle grinder and called it a day.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasted 5 hours on Saturday. So, today I manned up and dropped it off at the local muffler shop. Total shop bill $25 and worth every penny.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?