Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Discovery 1.

I bought a 98 Discovery 1 v8 4.0 and while I the seller and I were talking at the front of the truck, it died. I bought it anyway...at a much lower price of course lol.

I've been working on it and discovered that I wasn't getting power to the fuel pump. I was testing power at the connection for the pump on the harness. No power....I bypassed the inertia switch...no luck. Went to the multifunction relay under the hood. This relay controls multiple things but most importantly it controls the power for the fuel pump. Anyway...that checked out fine after a lot of testing. It ended up being a connection located on the driver's side frame that supplys the power to the rest of the harness to the fuel pump. It's just aft of the axel mounted up on the body. Mine was full of dust/dirt. I cleaned the connection, put back together and Bam! I have power to my connection to the top of the fuel pump assembly, I put itnin and hear the pump kick on and then once it built pressure, cut off.

If anyone needs help with a similar issue with the fuel system...I have spent some time on tracking this problem down. The fuel pump would run intermittent. That was my symptom. Also the owner before me said he put just a fuel pump in it and not the whole sending unit. He also said he replaced the pump relay. I double checked everything just to make sure...runs fine now!!👍

98 Discovery 1. Picked up for $800😊

White/purple wire supplies 12v .The other connection red...green...black...that connection is for the sending unit. 5v should read there.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Overlanding

Bought 2 original land rover cup holders with inserts off ebay for $45... Should get them in a few days.. They were priced at $59 but I offered him $45 and he accepted but I also added in the message "Hook a fellow Kentuckian up please"..

Old 12-15-2018, 06:06 PM
4wd Low
Red face

Originally Posted by NVRover
Low hanging fruit...the PO disconnected the heater core (apparently it leaked all over the passenger side floor, it was fun to clean that ) and though I have bought a replacement, I have not yet tackled that painful process. Instead, since it is getting cool out, I opted to chase down the electrical issue with my heated seats. Found the problem, faulty switches. I now will have a toasty tooshy.

I'm having issues with my heated seats also. lights come on but no warm booty lol

Old 12-15-2018, 07:05 PM
4wd Low

I ordered the whole fuel pump assembly today. Apparently there is a fuel pressure switch built in the top flange of the assembly...this is on a 98 Disco 1 V8 4.0 with the advanced evap system. yay....lol

Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM
4wd Low
Thumbs up Intake filter

Originally Posted by jastutte
that's an interesting filter on the valve cover, too.
Where and how much did you pay for that intake??

Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Found the intake at a junk yard for $35.

It needed a bit of cleaning.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

temporary winter rust repair - fluid filmed the whole underside and leveled the side steps that were not mounted to the frame.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Overlanding

Installed cup holders and front passenger side fender turn signal bulb.

I didnt even look at a stock photo of where these go on a Disco 2 but i just sat in the seats and checked clearance for diff lock, shifter and accessory plug. The wifey needed a cup holder..

Old 12-22-2018, 06:40 PM
6th Gear

I Installed a Crank Shaft Position Sensor and saved over $600.00 if I had taken it to a Mechanic! It seemed crazy that they would charge so much for just removing and replacing four screws and a plug, though I probably would have never attempted it if it weren't for a great "How To" video on YouTube
that inspired me to try to do it myself. I have to say those were the toughest four nuts and bolts I ever had to remove and replace though so I guess that why it cost so much for a mechanic. to do it. I even discovered a little short cut to get the job done a little quicker than the guy on the video, by bracing the plug in place with a large screwdriver, instead of having to pull it up with the wiring harness and plugging it back in from the top.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Spent the day at pic a part, pulling new parts to me for my disco. Dash/console lights and switches, hoses, wires and mud flaps. Picked up a rear drive shaft with the rubber coupling. Is the rubber coupling better or worse than the standard u joint?

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?