Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Some problems I am having...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some problems I am having...

Was wondering if anyone can help out?

I bought my 97 Disco in Sept 2012 and have been driving it since. It's a 97 and currently has 153K on it.

Some issues I am having include...

My center console does not light up. Only the AC snowflake, my radio, power window buttons and dash light up. However, sometimes the center console decides it wants to come on, but then later not work again. I assume some type of loose connection? But is this common?

My two rear windows won't go up or down.

When the temperature outside goes below freezing, the truck takes longer to start/cranks longer. Sometimes it doesn't start at all and it takes me a few times to get it going. Once started it runs perfectly fine (Maybe fuel temp sensor?)

Thanks!

-spike

Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is tons of info on the rear windows not working, easy DIY, do a search for it.
Fuel temp sensor only comes into play when the engine is hot.
What quality fuel are you using? Low quality fuel can cause hard cold starts.
Work out spark plugs can too.
Rent a fuel pressure tester, put it on the truck and then try and start it, check fuel pressure,let us know what it is.
Needs to be over 32psi.
The control panel not lighting up is not a common problem, check for loose connections.
Pull off the HVAC control *****, you can then take it all apart.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember reading that a dirty MAF sensor can cause some difficulty with cold starts.
If you decide to clean it, use only a cleaner specifically for that, (not carb cleaner, WD-40, etc.,) and do it only when everything's cold. Like, sitting for 6 hours or more cold. Otherwise you could damage it.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Mudding

Thank you all for your responses.

I have yet to test the fuel pressure.

I use 93 octane fuel.

Driving the truck I am beginning to notice that it is not the cold that causes it not to start. The truck decides that it doesn't want to start as easy after it's been off for longer than 24 hours. Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes I have to crank it a few times to get it going. On occasion it stalls out after being started, unless, of course, I rev it up a bit.

My check engine light has come on as well. I got codes P0451 - evap control system pressure sensor ring performance; P0116 - engine coolant temp circuit ring performance; P0125 - fuel cntrl insufficient coolant temp.

Coolant temp sensor issues? Do any of these have to do with my problems starting the truck?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Replace the coolant temp sensor, that tells the computer how hot the engine is, depending on engine temp depends on how much fuel it needs to start and run.
When the temp sensor goes bad it will send false signals of varying temps, anything from -40 to +250 and everywhere in between.
The ECU thinks its cold, more fuel, hot, less fuel.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all your help. Replaced the coolant temp sensor a few weeks ago and the truck has been starting ever since. And so far the check engine light has stayed off.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. If you have lots of things that don't light up that can be a common ground point. There are some inside the center console. The RAVE electrical manual has the diagrams plus black and white pictures of locations.

You may also want to consider a scanner or Ultra Gauge, the ECT supplies info to the computer and is available on the OBDII port. The gauge is driven by a separate sensor, and is not known for being precise. I'd trust the ECT, as long as it shows ambient temp at startup, and logical values (not -40F, etc.). I run a 180F stat in my 97, stays in the 178-187 range.

Attached Thumbnails Some problems I am having...-p1120320.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-13-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Mudding

Thank you Savannah!

I actually have just taken apart my entire control panel yesterday to find that there was only a bad bulb and that my clock was fried. The previous owner of the truck installed an aftermarket head unit/radio, and once all apart, his job made me wonder 'how, and why?'

It was a mess under there...wires everywhere...wired wrong. No wonder my rear speakers never worked until I got in there and fixed it.

So I am happy now, at least until the new clock I ordered comes in

Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't forget boneyards and dismantlers (like Paul Grant) as a source for things like a clock.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Mudding

I definitely will be taking this advice! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Some problems I am having...