Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Spring Suspension Upgrade (pun intended)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spring Suspension Upgrade (pun intended)

Hi Folks,

So it is spring and I am finally ready to shell out the $$$ to upgrade/refresh the suspension on my 1997 D1. I have been researching the crap out of which springs/shocks to use, etc., but like anything in the information age, there is simply too much conflicting information out there for me to make an informed decision based on searching Google alone; and I am a bit OCD when it comes to making the most informed decision, so I will draw on you, my fellow Rover enthusiasts, for some additional wisdom and real-world experience in this area.

I realize many of these questions may have been debated to death in the past, but I would like to ask these questions based on my specific driving patterns/needs, so forgive me if you've heard these before.

I know, get to the point, Leaky!

Anyway...

I am going to replace the following this spring:

1. Springs and shocks
2. Bushings
3. Steering damper
4. Tie rod ends (maybe)

My questions.

1. For springs and shocks, (AFAICT) OME has a good reputation, as does Rovertym.

Does it really matter which brand I choose, or it mostly a personal preference thing?

2. I am totally confused about which weight rating to go with for springs/shocks. At least 90% of my driving will be shuttling kids to/from school. The other time will be hauling camping gear for 4 (plus peoples), going to Home Repo, and an occasional moderate trail run, but no plans for real, hardcore off-roading.

I DO like the Rovertym "Slimline" front and rear bumpers and will most likely swap my stock bumpers for these soon, AND I will invest in a decent full-length roof rack soon, so...

Do I choose medium or HD springs/shocks based on the above?

Will HD springs/shocks rattle my fillings out and drive my passengers crazy?

Will mediums sag like a teenager's pants if I add a bumper and/or roof rack upgrade?

3. I am planning on replacing the bushings with the standard rubber (OEM) kit.

I assume (based on my research) that this is the best choice based on my driving habits above. Yes?

4. I have the original steering damper on the truck, so I am replacing it mostly since I'll be in there and might as well swap out the 14-year-old part.

Anything good or bad about swapping it with the OME damper?

5. I have no idea if my tie rod ends are good/bad/original, etc. They don't look split, but I figure if I'm into the suspension, maybe I should pop some new ones in there and have a shop do an alignment when I'm done.

Is this a foolish waste of money, or something I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments and recommendations.

Cheers!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitly sound like you got it down pretty well.

The springs and shocks are personal preference when it comes to all the big name players. OME are time-proven and you can't go wrong. Rovertym springs I have heard nothing but good about, but if I remember right, the only way to get them in a "kit" with shocks is like a $2k whole kit-n-kabodle thing. Terrafirma makes some good stuff, and has been popular in UK far longer than here.

I would probably say HD on the springs running aftermarket bumpers(winch?). Although if most of you're time will be unloaded, mediums would probably do.

Bushings: I replaced all mine w/ rubber units, no complaints. I remember reading something negative about the poly bushings for the D1's but can't remember what it was. Maybe why their not popular?

OME damper would be a good upgrade, as almost any name-brand one would be.

Looking at the overall picture, you can get all 4 rod ends, and alignment for under $150, if installing yourself. Not a bad idea, especially if you're going up in tire size. Plus then you can get greasable rod ends. Check D.A.P. inc. They sell a kit pretty cheap.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
You definitly sound like you got it down pretty well.

The springs and shocks are personal preference when it comes to all the big name players. OME are time-proven and you can't go wrong. Rovertym springs I have heard nothing but good about, but if I remember right, the only way to get them in a "kit" with shocks is like a $2k whole kit-n-kabodle thing. Terrafirma makes some good stuff, and has been popular in UK far longer than here.

I would probably say HD on the springs running aftermarket bumpers(winch?). Although if most of you're time will be unloaded, mediums would probably do.

Bushings: I replaced all mine w/ rubber units, no complaints. I remember reading something negative about the poly bushings for the D1's but can't remember what it was. Maybe why their not popular?

OME damper would be a good upgrade, as almost any name-brand one would be.

Looking at the overall picture, you can get all 4 rod ends, and alignment for under $150, if installing yourself. Not a bad idea, especially if you're going up in tire size. Plus then you can get greasable rod ends. Check D.A.P. inc. They sell a kit pretty cheap.
Thanks!

I made my order today. Decided on OME HD since I will be adding some weight with new accessories and maybe more over time.

I like the idea of serviceable ball joints, and DAP does have a great price.