Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade

I recently did my spring, sock and brake upgrade and as I've been busy with work just got around to editing my photos. I post them here in case others are planning one of these upgrades. I'll post another thread for the front end but it is not too different from the rear.

A couple of notes.

1- Jack the car up and use good jack stands. I had a friend from my High School days die under his truck while trying to do a muffler so I tend to be extra careful. I use my floor jack and 2 sets of jack stands (just for a little insurance).

2- Before the upgrade; I believe the previous owner did the pads which left a fair amount of reddish dust everywhere.

4. Typical of most brake jobs, you remove the caliper and secure it so the brake line is not damaged, then remove the bracket that holds the caliper.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-1.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-2.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-3.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-4.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Winching

5- Remove the small Philips head machine screw if you can; you may have to drill it out but mine came out fine. Unfortunately Land Rover does not put in threaded holes to help you ease the rotor off with a couple of machine screws.

6- So I used a piece of oak hardwood flooring and a liberal amount of Liquid wrench and a nice ball peen hammer and the rotor finally popped off. Since I am replacing the rotors the marks the hammer left were no big deal.

7- I used some spring compressors that I got from Sears a few years ago. This is where an air wrench would be nice as you end up doing a lot of close quarter ratcheting to compress the springs.

8- I used the LR bottle jack to help give me some extra room for the OME HD spring which is taller then the stock spring.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-5.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-6.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-7.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-8.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Winching

9- The new spring goes in.

10- The new OME HD shock is attached.

11- The EBC drilled and slotted rotor is installed and the caliper reassembled using EBC Green stuff pads.

12- You can see the lift you get with the new springs.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-9.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-10.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-11.jpg   Rear Spring, Shock and Brakes upgrade-upgrade-12.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't see if it were mentioned, do a full 3 pint flush using DOT4, synthetic if you can find it and lots of sound deadening spray on the backing plates.
This is a great write up, Thanks

Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Winching

Good point, I actually did a full flush about 6000 miles ago so I did not do it again, but for others this could be a perfect time. I also plan to change out my rubber break lines for the longer stainless steel ones and should have had them on hand when I did this task but forgot about it until it was too late to order them for the project. They will have to come later.

I from the school of thought that opens the bleed screw on each caliper when compressing the caliper piston to relieve pressure and also bleed out that bit of fluid that quite often is nasty.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that my Disco had a set of 2 inch spacers under the springs which I removed. Unfortunately, I forgot to do a before and after measurment of the vehicle lift but I would swear that I am slightly higher with the new springs and no spacers then before with the spacers and the stock springs.