Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Spring Vs Blocks Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Vs Blocks Lift

So I know these threads always start some stuff but...

I bought my Disco with 2" blocks under the springs. I'm sure of that because I can measure the spacers.

What I'm unsure of is total lift I've got. The springs look factory but I just can't tell. If anyone has a pretty good stock measure some where I'd sure appreciate it.

Now to my question. Will I get the same performance out of 2" blocks as I would 2" Springs.

What I'm trying to do is If spring only lift will articulate better than a block I want to figure out where I'm at and go only spring.

If this is pretty stupid then rake me over the coals I deserve it.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up a picture of your truck

What are you trying to accomplish by lifting it?? If you are OK with the ride you have now, dont want to add a ton of heavy bumpers, rock sliders, and other gear then the spacers will simply raise your truck 2" so you can fit larger tires.

If you plan on loading your truck up with heavy aftermarket goodies, are looking for more flex out of your suspension. yadda yadda yadda then medium or heavy duty coil springs with a lift are meant to accomdate that. Terrafirma has a pretty good "chart" that shows a defender 110 and how much crap they have on it to show you which coil spring you should go after.

Spacers are good to show you what tires you can fit, or give you an extra lift so you can fit bigger tires when need be.. But I would eventually graduate to a whole lift kit with shocks and springs.

I sold you these spacers so my opinion may be biased

Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Like Jake said, your anticipated load will play a big role on determining your springs. Even with spacers you're still on worn out stock springs. So if you add armor and an ExPo style load you'll be disappointed.

Something else people tend to forget is shocks. The front and rear shocks mount differently at the axle and will be effected differently when you use spacers. When you space the front the lower shock mount also moves up by the height of the spacer, so the effective travel of the shock remains the same. However, the rear shock mounts to the axle differently that the front. So when you space the rear the shock will be extended by height of the spacer. So with a 2" spacer you would effectively lose 2" of downtravel using your stock shock, but you would gain 2" of uptravel(which is useless especially running larger tires). So when people run their stock shocks with spacers they are actually reducing their articulation.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What i'm looking for is articulation. Eventually a 3 link up front. I'm happy with the 285's I got on there and don't want to go much higher lift wise. I do want a winch bumper as I have a perfectly good winch off my old rig sitting in my shop.

I didn't buy the blocks from you I bought the +2 shocks from you which are sweet by the way.

The end goal is 12" or better of travel.
The short term is to Not go broke and Stay married.

only crap I really want to bolt on to my rig is a winch bumper. I like the roof racks but not really what I want. Probably a rear rack that can hold my Hi lift a shovel and an Axe (which I'm building, Post pics soon).

I gotta pretty good Idea of all the extra stuff that goes into a lift Brake lines bumpstops and all the other random stuff we all forget about.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

To get good articulation with 285's you'll want around 3" of lift or you'll have to trim a LOT. Even with 3" springs you'll need to trim some. With 3" springs you'll be looking at radius arms and trailing arms, and probably a DC front shaft. You'll want the radius and trailing arms cranked to alleviate bushing bind and maximize droop, or go with some trailing arms like Jake has.
Post up a pic of your truck. And where ya from?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start saving your money, articulation isnt cheap! haha I have had a 3-link front but ditched it to go back to radius arms. I felt it wasnt super sturdy and caused a lot of body roll on the highway. If I was going to do it over again I would run the numbers thru a calculator and do it all custom. I would also ditch the coils and shocks for coilovers.. I agree with Brett, go with something like that he has and see where that takes you. 3" springs, I just got some custom made rear links with ballistic joints with basically unlimited droop. I need to get some limiting straps for the set up and test it all out.

in case you didnt see them in the other thread