Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

starter or solenoid or relay or grounds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014 | 02:12 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default starter or solenoid or relay or grounds?

Hey all, I just spent an hour plowing through all the threads regarding starter and solenoid issues and didn't see my same symptoms...hopefully one of you guys can point me right.

97 disco just brought back from about an 8 month slumber. Was running well until the vehicle started to take a few turns of the key to actually start.... then... no amount of turns of the key will start it. Symptoms are;

I don't hear the ubiquitous "click" noise which I understand to be the mechanical engagement of the starter gear to the flywheel from the solenoid... correct me if I'm wrong.

Something "is" spinning that is not the motor, I can only assume that would be the the starter itself.

Clues include, it had a good soaked wash at the carwash not long before these symptoms appeared, may or may not have a thing to do with any of this. Symptoms appeared fairly rapidly, perhaps over 3 or four trips in a week.

I believe I know the drill, Check connections and especially grounds... test relay, test solenoid and starter and replace if necessary. I was just thinking someone might have had similar issues and provide a little more insight.
thanks for reading,
Joe

Old 06-11-2014 | 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Smack the starter with a hammer while someone tries cranking it.

Old 06-11-2014 | 06:24 PM
Overlanding

i just had the same issues and after replacing the starter with a britishstarter.com it started like never before.... its a easy replace job just get the write tools. you need a socket allen wrench and a socket extension to get the job done easily