Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Startup after 5 years storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Startup after 5 years storage

About 5 years ago my 95 Disco (with 130K miles) started making a wheezing (almost like someone gasping for breath) noise but continued to run reasonably well. Brought it to my son's farm meaning to get back to it when weather improved. Business & relocation kept me from getting back to it until now - 5+ years. Never properly laid up - gasoline in tank for all those years, no change oil, never moved.
Before doing anything else what should be done? Assume I should put some oil into cylinders but what about old gas in tank, lines, filters etc. Just put a battery in & turned on ignition without turning engine - tank showed about 3/4 full.
Appreciate your advices.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Would use a siphon or pump to remove old gas from tank. Would then put 5 gallons of good gas and can of fuel system cleaner/ water remover in tank. Would change fuel filter. Would use a valve core tool and remove valve of the schrader fuel test valve on the passenger side fuel rail. Attach a clear plastic hose that goes to a fuel can, turn key to make fuel pump run, or jump out fuel pump relay. Pump may shut down after a few seconds, just repeat. This will pump as much old fuel still left in lines out and you can see what it looks like, may even be able to see "new" gasoline arrive.

Would change oil and filter before running engine. Condensation will have water in the oil, the gas, the differentials, the transfer case, the tranny. So change all those fluids before running the truck or moving it.

When you turned on the key the fuel pump may have run.

Hopefully no mice have made nests in fans or nibbled wiring. Would also drain and refill cooling system (with distilled water), then flush and refill with coolant when truck is running.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Also see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...rite-up-48197/ - not because you need to replace bearings, but note how he delivers oil to the fresh rebuild. Could be done via the oil cooler line.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It has a plastic gas tank, gas does not go stale in plastic containers but it will go bad in the metal fuel lines and any empty space will allow water to collect from condensation.
Top off the gas tank with new gas and a can of Seafoam.
Replace the battery.
Make sure the oil and coolant are full as well as the power steering fluid.
No mice in the air filter, etc.
Start the engine, check trans fluid level.
Let it idle for a good 15 min before moving.
Drive it gently for a half hour or so, change all fluid and filters.
Then fix the problem that caused you to park it in the first place.