Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Status update/ Trip soon.. maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Status update/ Trip soon.. maintenance ?

Ok, Bought my 99 disco 1 bout a month ago, seems to be in outstanding condition, but there is some clues as How maintenance was performed by PO. The air cleaner was so old that the rubber seal was dry rotted to the air box, They where using power steering fluid in the PS system. Other than that it looks pretty good. So this is what ive done so far. Replaced filter and oil, Air filter, Belt, Ordered a new high side PS hose. (when i changed it back to ATF the high side hose went ) Should be in tomorrow. Ordered new Ujoints, should be in at same time. Bought me a code reader while i was at it, Engine light was on, and been reading the forums and realized might as well get one lol had a misfire code on number 3, random misfire code and 0313 and 14 which are cat codes..probly due to the misfire code. wrote me down and reset the MIL, hasn't returned. On the first will order new filter and seals for tranny and change fluid in that, and will also change the fluid in the pumpkins. Now my lil disco seems to be running great, but im having a weird brake issue. My ABS light is NOT on, but every once in a while when i step on the brake, it seems as if they bind.. and i get the jerking sensation without stoppage.. only happens on occasion but has me a bit worried. Also im in the army in NC and headin to georgia then west texas. What should i look to do to make sure my trip is problem free, what have i missed as far as regular or special maintenance ? Any suggestions would be great !

thanks in advance
JT

Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LRadventure
Ok, Bought my 99 disco 1 bout a month ago, seems to be in outstanding condition, but there is some clues as How maintenance was performed by PO. The air cleaner was so old that the rubber seal was dry rotted to the air box, They where using power steering fluid in the PS system. Other than that it looks pretty good. So this is what ive done so far. Replaced filter and oil, Air filter, Belt, Ordered a new high side PS hose. (when i changed it back to ATF the high side hose went ) Should be in tomorrow. Ordered new Ujoints, should be in at same time. Bought me a code reader while i was at it, Engine light was on, and been reading the forums and realized might as well get one lol had a misfire code on number 3, random misfire code and 0313 and 14 which are cat codes..probly due to the misfire code. wrote me down and reset the MIL, hasn't returned. On the first will order new filter and seals for tranny and change fluid in that, and will also change the fluid in the pumpkins. Now my lil disco seems to be running great, but im having a weird brake issue. My ABS light is NOT on, but every once in a while when i step on the brake, it seems as if they bind.. and i get the jerking sensation without stoppage.. only happens on occasion but has me a bit worried. Also im in the army in NC and headin to georgia then west texas. What should i look to do to make sure my trip is problem free, what have i missed as far as regular or special maintenance ? Any suggestions would be great !

thanks in advance
JT

A good deal on a rental car for the trip. Why risk it with an unsure, newly purchased Discovery? A rental for a week or two would be cheaper in the long run than the repairs if it overheats or has any other surprise happen on the trip.

You'll have plenty of time to screw with the Disco after you get back, and be sure and get the additional insurance on the rental. Then enjoy your trip knowing getting home will not cost you an arm and a leg. Fixed cost up front, new safe vehicle and better milage. Think about it.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would start with the 60k maintanance(do a search) and a good tune up. Sounds like your truck has been neglected by the way your air filter sounds.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Three Wheeling

would love to use a rental danny but its a one way trip. I'll look up the 60k tune up LH.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though your ABS light isn't on that doesn't mean it is working properly. Before I changed my brake pads my ABS system would activate at random times when I tried to stop making for some interesting moment, particularly on slick roads. Pull the ABS fuse so the system is deactivated until you can have a mechanic with the proper computer system to read ABS faults look at your truck.

As for your misfire codes you need new plugs and wires. Most people on this forum, including myself, recommend the Magnecor 8mm wires. The Magnecor wires are a little expensive but when the other option is replacing the inexpensive wires repeatedly the price isn't too bad. As for plugs that's more up to personal preference. I really like the Bosch Platinum +4s I had in my 97 but others didn't have the same luck with them as I did. I think a lot of it depends on where you live.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM

Oh so you are going to be transferring to a new location.........That's usually when the gremlins appear, heavily loaded and moving.....

I bought new ProLine Wires from Rovers North and used Bosch Platinum Plus from Advanced Auto. They are doing fine.

I just want to confirm which fuse to pull is it he 30 amp in position five or the forty amp in the other row?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, changed the high side hose today, that SUCKED ! was a pain in the butt. But got it done, no leaks ! Got the new fan belt today as well, but it was a 92 incher and i need an 89 incher, so need to take it back and get the correct one. One thing, when i turn slowly i hear like two washers clinking together. not sure what it is. Any suggestions ? its hard to pin down cant get out of the car and listen because it only does it when its rolling. So any suggestions would sure help ! thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The "clinking" may very well be cv joints, check your front swivel ***** lube level with a piece of wire.
(pull fill plug and make sure they're 1/3 - 1/2 full.) I use one-shot brand grease, but you can use 140w gearlube as well.

If they're dry, it might be too late, if that's your noise when turning while driving slow.

Also check your wheel lugs

luck,greg

Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Oh so you are going to be transferring to a new location.........That's usually when the gremlins appear, heavily loaded and moving.....

I bought new ProLine Wires from Rovers North and used Bosch Platinum Plus from Advanced Auto. They are doing fine.

I just want to confirm which fuse to pull is it he 30 amp in position five or the forty amp in the other row?
It is the 30A fuse under the hood, ABS pump is the one to pull.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM

One thing to think about is your wheel bearings. I had a friend in out local club that got a great deal on a 95 Disco that had broken down on it's original owner during a lengthy trip. The gentleman was wealthy and did not want to deal with the Disco, so he called the local LR dealer and told them to send him a salesman in their nicest new Rover to get him.

The tow operator ended up with the old Disco, which he patched up and sold cheap.
Bill bought it and was happy as a pig in mud. He was in a caravan of Rovers from Pittsburgh going to MAR last year.

One of his front wheel bearings went out at highway speed and welded itself to the hub. Luckily for Disco Bill, the Club President Mark was right behind him in his Disco and had the tools, parts, and experience with the Disco I front end. They did an emergency road-side repair as daylight rapidly dwindled and were back on there way again.

If yours are unknown, look at them before you leave or be prepared to deal with them on the road if necessary.

Do you have the RAVE on a laptop to take with you? If not you may want to print some of it, put it in a binder and have for reference. I have a few binders full for mine.

Also make sure you carry all the necessary fluids in case you do encounter a leak, as well as a kit with clamps, fuses, and a few other goodies. Of course, A tool kit as well. Flashlight.

I would also consider new hoses before you leave unless you are doing those already..

Enjoy your adventure..

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-25-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Status update/ Trip soon.. maintenance ?