Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering Stabilizer issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Stabilizer issues?

I have issues when i go over bumps, it feels like I loose control ,the wheel jiggles like the stabilizer isn't dampening the shock. The shocks act responsive, it just seems to feel too free. the tie rod ends are new, swivels are good, tower shock mounts are tight. Could a new stabilizer be a good answer to have tighter steering?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might also be your panhard bar bushings or bolts loose

Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Might also be your panhard bar bushings or bolts loose
Do you have a link to that tightening steering bolts diy post? I keep searching for it but I cant find it anyway, and I have a pseudo similar issue but a lot less noticeable since I switched out my ps fluid but I'd still like to tighten them before I take this in for inspection so I know if my issues are similar or linked to something else.

Also op, I'm pretty inexperienced too many of the gurus up here but I was recently having loose steering issues on my disco, and a look into the ps showed that my ps fluid was virtually nonexistent and dirty with what is there.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok guys while we are on the subject 2 questions, first is there a way to "check" the panhard rod bushings? I figured pulling on it a few times to see if it has any play, or possibly watching it while someone turns the wheels all the way back and forth, but not sure if any play is acceptable or not? also are the bushings easy to remove? keep in mind I live in Arizona so I have about 0% of salt rust to deal with under there! sorry snow country guys I used to live in New Hampshire so I have to rub that in.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I have read, the steering stabalizer is to keep your arms from breaking if you have a sudden jerk of the wheel when off-roading and is not related to thed feel of the steering. Save your money.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
Could a new stabilizer be a good answer to have tighter steering?
Absolutely not.
That's not the purpose of a steering stabilizer.

How do you know the swivel pre-load is correct?

Assuming the swivel pre-load is correct and tie-rod ends are good, check hub bearings for correct pre-load, tires, all suspension bushings

But what you describe is classic death wobble from not enough swivel pre-load.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
From the article:
Also, check the steering damper, a sort of horizontal shock absorber for the steering components.
And he repairs Land Rovers for a living?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If the stabilizer is original, replace it, won't stop your main issue though. Start with the basics and check all tie rod ends, bushings and the preload on the swivels, then you will find your problem.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok guys I am going to ask this again with an update, is there a way to "check" the panhard rod bushings? I figured pulling on it a few times to see if it has any play, or possibly watching it while someone turns the wheels all the way back and forth, but not sure if any play is acceptable or not?

I asked if the bushings were hard to replace and after a few hours of failed removal attempts I decided to put the panhard rod back in with the old bushings still in place and go cry myself to sleep (just kidding about the crying myself to sleep part) so anyways luckily I did not tear the old bushings up with my efforts to replace them, but I still need to do this so I am going to get some pieces of pipe and a vise and apply the needed pressure in the right places to get this job done!

also what am I looking for when I check the tie rod ends and the preload on the swivels.
I do not have a death wobble (at least not like I remember it in my old jeep) just a decent little wobble in the steering wheel SOMETIMES when I hit a pothole just right or hit an expansion joint while turning on a highway interchange. It very rarely makes me nervous, the old death wobble in my jeep had me fearing for my life every time it happened!

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer issues?