Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Stereo Head Unit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012 | 06:14 PM
Overlanding

The sub woofer amp is in the back door with the speakers.

Old 10-16-2012 | 01:28 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
Thank you sir.. stopped today at Sound Sensations in Marietta (I know a fella ) and picked up something similar to that when I exchanged the wrong harness for the correct one.

Got my stereo all wired up and sounding great!

Old 10-16-2012 | 03:12 PM
|
Mudding

Dadburnit!! Sounded fine when truck wasn't running.. when running, getting the buzzing sound. Read somewhere and asked a friend, both sources say it is the ignition wires. I needed to replace them and the plugs anyway. Well, buzzing is still there, no change.

The speakers were installed professionally, so I can't imagine pinched wires somewhere... Any ideas?

Old 10-16-2012 | 03:52 PM
Overlanding

I had same problem in my '97 Disco. I think the issue is that the amp a)sucks and b) in my case was likely bad.

I decided to bypass the amp and use the amp in the head unit to go directly to the speakers. The fronts were easy, I was able to tie into them on the floor in the foot wells on the sides. It worked really well. I upgraded the speakers and it actually sounds very good.

The rears are going to be more difficult (I have not done it yet, I ran wire out of the head unit and under the console and figured I would deal later and did not want to have to open up the dash again). I have other issues that trump rear speakers.

Based on some additional research, I might try to use the wires coming from the amp that go to the back. The amp is either going to be on the passenger (right) footwell under the glove box on the side wall or under the passenger seat or under the drivers seat (I have seen posts for all 3). From there, I was going to try to figure out which wires run which speakers. It will be a lot easier to not have to run wire to the back. Most people will argue with me that the stock wire is crap and you should run new wire. They are right but at this point I am trying to get things up and running.

That leaves the subwoofer box. This has its own amp and I am not expecting to use it. Eventually, I will replace it if I want to but probably not. It would be more likely that I will rig a flat speaker sub under the back seat but not sure yet. Again, hard to worry about subwoofer when I am still chasing codes.

Old 10-16-2012 | 04:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Isn't the wiring from the amp to the speakers shown in RAVE? It was for my '04. Or just check here: 1998 Land Rover Discovery Wiring Information
As for your noise, sounds like a ground loop. It's best to try and ground all of the equipment in the system together. Did you use the factory ground for the head unit? Check all of the grounds (head unit, amp, sub amp) to make sure they are good.

Old 10-17-2012 | 12:43 AM
|
Mudding

Yes I used the factory ground... I will check the grounding, and possibly run a separate ground altogether.

Hopefully that fixes the buzzing...