Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Still not running, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Still not running, need some help

whats up guys, its been a while since i have posted anything on here.

Well, last summer I posted that I had a crank , no start issue. I did some digging and noticed that I did not have fuel at the rails. So I replaced the fuel pump. Still, after i did that I was not able to get my D1 back going . I gave up on it for the time being as my wife had a major lower back surgery and i just did not have the time to mess with it.
Now, i want to get it back on the road and start using it again. Yesterday I had a buddy help me eliminate a few things so I can try to narrow down the problems and see what i need to do next.
A little back ground info:
-98 D1 with less than 100k
-NO check engine light since i have owned it.
-Drove it around the block. Turned off engine......started back up and drove
back home. Halfway back, it just died...like someone turned the key off.
-No fuel at the rail.....so i replaced the pump. still have the same issue.

Now present time, tried to start it again with a little help with some starting fluid. Did not try to fire, so pulled a plug wire, and i am not getting spark.

Another thing that it is doing that may help is that when i turn the key from the on position to the start position, there is a delay. I have to cycle it from on to start a 2-3 time before it actually gets the starter to do anything.

What do i need to do?

Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with the simplest things first. Check your fuel pump relays and inertia switch to make sure they are not an issue for the no fuel pressure. As for the no spark issue I would check the CPS. Im pretty sure I read on another tread that if your check engine light stays on when starting that it is toast. (You may want to search the forums and make sure). You can also have a faulty VSS that could cause the vehicle to die. (I believe this is located on the side of the transfer case - you can unplug it, but you wont have a speedometer and that would tell you if its faulty.) Hopefully this is a good start!

Last edited by HelgaTheRedRover; 04-21-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Mudding

Thanks, that seems to be some of the same stuff that i come across here on the board. I know where the inertia switch is, but i am not sure if it is working properly. I have depressed the switch, and has not seem to make any differance. Maybe i have to pull it off the firewall and get it back into an "out" position?
As for the relays, where are they located? i have check fuses in the engine bay, and not come across any that seem to be bad.
As for the cranking and having a CEL, i have not noticed it, so I dont think that could be a CPS.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the inertia switch if it is depressed, then it has not been tripped. The fuel pump fuse is located in the engine bay fuse box. The relay will be in the passenger side footwell, I have added instructions from the RAVE. To test it you can borrow a relay from the AC unless you already have spares.

As for the absolute no spark I am at a loss, only thing that I could think of is CPS. I haven't diagnosed much of that issue. Hopefully you can find some answers.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by HelgaTheRedRover
For the inertia switch if it is depressed, then it has not been tripped. The fuel pump fuse is located in the engine bay fuse box. The relay will be in the passenger side footwell, I have added instructions from the RAVE. To test it you can borrow a relay from the AC unless you already have spares.

As for the absolute no spark I am at a loss, only thing that I could think of is CPS. I haven't diagnosed much of that issue. Hopefully you can find some answers.
Thanks for you help. The fuel pump fuse is good, so i will now check the relay. maybe that is my problem. fingers crossed.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I would also check the Multi function relay under the hood. It should be on the passenger side up past the fuse box near the canister. it looks like a black pack of smokes. That unit controls the fuel pump, injectors and spark. Clean the contacts and make sure you have no arcing.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Any chance there is a problem with the key/switch? You said sometimes it doesn't even crank the first couple tries.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Mudding

ugh, i had the rave manual on my old phone, and now i am trying to get it on my new phone. i cannot seem to find any good links to get. anyone know of a place where i can download the pdf rave again?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by aemnky606
Perfect!!!!
Thanks man

Quick Reply: Still not running, need some help