Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Stupid clock question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stupid clock question.

Ok, so in RAVE it says the clock is where the ashtray is but we all know it's not. I'm trying to change it out and I do remember a write up somewhere on how easy it is to pull out. Help please.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recall seeing something either on LRO or the Rover's North Forum Board. The light is dead on mine, but the clock itself still keeps time, just ain't lit up.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the switch panel underneath then opened the fuse compartment and stuck my hand back there behind the clock and pushed on it to get it out. Took a bit of wiggling and few cuss words but it popped out. Thought I broke something doing that but all was well and it went back in just fine.

I took a brief look at the rave and remember glancing quickly at pictures telling me to remove this and that and gave up right quick. Just go for it.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Winching

Yah I bought an analog clock from an RRC from Paul, he said it wouldn't fit, didn't know I was buying from him till after I bought off Ebay. I want to take a look and see if I can make it work.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I recall seeing something either on LRO or the Rover's North Forum Board. The light is dead on mine, but the clock itself still keeps time, just ain't lit up.
Some of the rover websites show the bulb as being "no longer available" but when I pulled the clock out of my 96, I noticed it said VDO on it. So I went to a local independent BMW shop, and he had a bulb in stock for about $1 I think.

EDIT: it looks like roversnorth has an aftermaket replacement now: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...lb-holder.aspx but the BMW part I got was identical to the original part.

Last edited by jafir; 10-28-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Winching

Thanks Danny, found it on LRO. I'm going to assume, (stupid me) the 99 DII layout should be the same as our. See below.

Gentlemen: it took me two hours this AM to do a job (replacing the lamp in the clock) that should have taken three minutes. Thanks to Brian4d I finally got the clock out. Here is how in words accompanied by some pictures:

1. There are two holes for tab locks on the top and bottom of the clock. Use two plastic cards thinner than a credit card and push them in at least two or three inches on the top and the bottom of the clock. They must be at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide to hit both tabs. Magically the clock will pull out. There is sticky tape around the clock just inside so be careful not to mess it up. Now you can see the holes in the clock where the tabs lock - two in the top and two in the bottom about 3" apart. So you know already that to reinstall you just pop it back in and it locks securely.

2. Disconnect the clock plug; not necessary to disconnect the door lock plug. This will give you room to get to the lamp.

3. With a small screwdriver or a pair of needlenose pliers twist the lamp counterclockwise until it unlocks. Then remove and replace. The $0.50 lamp cost me $7.75 at Buckhead Land Rover in Atlanta. I have attached a picture of the stealership invoice which also shows the lamp. It has a plastic holder which comes attached to the new lamp.

In theory you could remove the lamp from the holder and replace with a $0.58 lamp (OSRAM 1.2w, W2x4.6d, #2721, #524.887 which I purchased on the web for $5.80 for ten in a box); the only problem is that you must remove a small metal jumper from the old lamp and put it on the new lamp so it will fit in the plastic holder - I just did not want to spend the time.

4. Reconnect the clock plug and straighten out the sticky tape.

5. Push the clock/door lock switch back in gently. It will lock in the tabs again.

6. Proceed to the 19th green.

Total time needed - about three minutes. Total time invested - about two hours not including the pictures and post.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 81 Posts

I got bulbs at NAPA...

Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a nice writeup on british atlantic (if you find the clock in their parts catalog) on how to remove the clock

Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
theres a nice writeup on british atlantic (if you find the clock in their parts catalog) on how to remove the clock
All is correct except they're assuming the clock is where the ash tray is...thinking that write up was for LHD.

If your clock unit has failed, it is easily replaced with item #STC1800G, however, removing the old unit requires some specific steps as follows:
1. Remove drink tray.
  • a.) Remove ashtray by pushing spring clip down. Remove auxiliary switch panel, it snaps out.
  • b.) Remove six screws holding tray. Three in each compartment where switch panel and ashtray were.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure, i followed their instructions a couple months ago to swap out my non functioning clock for a new one and it seemed to track well with what was in my truck. which i suppose is LHD....

of course the used clock i got was busted also hah

Quick Reply: Stupid clock question.