Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sunroof failure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, what you're going to find is that every single sunroof made for these things has the same problems, whether they seem to work or not. Things that are obvious are worn or broken plastic guides. Those you can fabricate with a little effort. The plastic ends of the drive cables crack and break. I'm currently trying to epoxy a couple. I'll let everyone know how that works.

The most important though is the cast aluminum pivot blocks. They bend over time and although with gentle heating you can bend them back, I don't know if they'll stand up after that. I'm currently looking into casting them from brass.

When they start to bend, they cause all of the other problems. They also keep the sunroof from sealing as tightly as it should and thats why som many of them leak. It's not the seal, it's the fact that the pivot block can't pull the glass down tight against the seal/

I'm collecting photos into a writeup and will try to post it some time this weekend.

Last edited by gprtech; 03-08-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gasapple
Hey - I'm researching sunroof repair for a LR Disco II and am having very little success. The rear sunroof is stuck and I assume it's the guide rail assembly but you can no longer obtain the part (EGM100192). These assemblies were going for $80 on eBay but are no longer. That said, I ASSUME it's the guide rails and not the motor (since that's the most common failure point). Anyway, I would simply like to get this repaired. The front sunroof is acting squirrely as well and I'm worried that I'll open it only to be left "stuck open". I also have two salvage sunroof motors that test as "good" in the unlikely event it's a motor failure. ANyone offer any help and/or repair locations (besides dealer) in the Tulsa, OK area?

Thanks in advance!
Just leave the damn things closed and dont worry about it!!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Rock Crawling

That's the problem, they're not really closed all the way.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a allen head manual crank on the motor, crank it shut, unplug the switches, leave well enough alone.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Because the pivot block is bent, you can't tighten the thing down as much as it should be. As a result, they leak. I've looked at 6 sunroofs now, they're all the same.

The glass doesn't get pulled as tightly against the seal as it should. The bent aluminum pivot block allows at least an additional 0.2" of play. And that's provided that all of the plastic and rubber pieces are intact and in place, something I've yet to find.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Clear RTV. Or black. Save your blood for bigger battles.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no want or need for the sunroof to open, only want to stop the leak.How would 1 go about the RTV method?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gprtech
Unfortunately, what you're going to find is that every single sunroof made for these things has the same problems, whether they seem to work or not. Things that are obvious are worn or broken plastic guides. Those you can fabricate with a little effort. The plastic ends of the drive cables crack and break. I'm currently trying to epoxy a couple. I'll let everyone know how that works.

The most important though is the cast aluminum pivot blocks. They bend over time and although with gentle heating you can bend them back, I don't know if they'll stand up after that. I'm currently looking into casting them from brass.

When they start to bend, they cause all of the other problems. They also keep the sunroof from sealing as tightly as it should and thats why som many of them leak. It's not the seal, it's the fact that the pivot block can't pull the glass down tight against the seal/

I'm collecting photos into a writeup and will try to post it some time this weekend.
Old thread I know but did you ever do the brass pivot block project or find a source? This is what is wrong with both of my sunroofs and I would really like to get them fixed, right and once and for all. Without resorting to sealing them permanently shut with RTV. Thanks Dach.