Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sunroof making wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:55 PM
nzt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof making wind noise

Hi,
I just bought a land rover discovery 1, year 98. The sunroof works and doesn't leak, but when I am driving on the highway after 60 mph, it sounds like you are in a wind tunnel. There is not much air coming in, almost nothing but sound is too much. I took it to a mechanic and he suggested replacing the whole sunroof and its glass, for a cost of $800. Can anyone suggest a cheaper option? I can even consider sealing it shut permanently since I don't see much of a use for it that is worth $800.

Best.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

ebay or one of the dismantlers in the vendor section

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 PM
nzt
6th Gear

Thank you for your answer. One mechanic says frame is warped, needs to be replaced, the other one says frame is fine, seal needs to be replaced. I am getting really confused and not sure how competent these mechanics are. Does anyone have any guidance about how to diagnose this? If anyone knows a good mechanic in the seattle or vancouver area, that would be great too.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzt
Thank you for your answer. One mechanic says frame is warped, needs to be replaced, the other one says frame is fine, seal needs to be replaced. I am getting really confused and not sure how competent these mechanics are. Does anyone have any guidance about how to diagnose this? If anyone knows a good mechanic in the seattle or vancouver area, that would be great too.
There's definitely plenty of threads on this forum as to how to remedy the sunroof. Having said that, if you insist on taking it to a mechanic Rovalutions in North Van I hear is pretty good. There is also Hesp Auto in north Van. Check out their sites. I can't speak for their work personally as I have always done my own work. Goodluck dude.

Last edited by Honeyrider; 04-18-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't believe it is your sunroof. Do you have the cross bars on your roof? The black rails that cross the roof for luggage, etc. Maybe it's those that make the noise and not the sunroof. Take them off and see.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:54 AM
nzt
6th Gear

I have been checking this myself and I think there is a leak in the sunroof. I saw the water coming in at the car wash. Not sure how to fix it, but I ordered seal online and I will try to install it myself.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

If you are new to Discovery 1's, you need to know that all sunroof's leak at some point. And there doesn't appear to be an easy fix unless you replace the whole unit which will run you near a grand. Mine leaks and I am trying to find a solution. I've been quoted $500 for a fix but that is with using the rails from a salvage, so there is no guarantee it will be completely secure long term.
I wish more people would chime in as to a reasonable solution to the sunroof issue but there doesn't appear to be one at the time.

There is also the issue of dropping the headliner when replacing the rails or unit. This in itself can cause problems, headliner backing bends, cloth comes loose, etc. It's a giant headache.