Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Swap Heater Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Heater Blower Motor

Has anyone replaced their Heater Blower Motor? I looked it up in RAVE and it says "Remove the Fascia". Well that tells me a lot.

Do you need to remove the entire dash to get access?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Mudding

easy, i pulled mine out to clean out leaves, took less then 5 min and it was back in and done. pull the cover off from under the golve box and you'll see it, 3 or 4 torx screws hold it in, pretty much self explanatory from there.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dansgt
easy, i pulled mine out to clean out leaves, took less then 5 min and it was back in and done. pull the cover off from under the golve box and you'll see it, 3 or 4 torx screws hold it in, pretty much self explanatory from there.

I thought that was it (not going to lie, I'm a rookie with heater/ac parts). That does look easy to get out.

Beauty thanks make. Mine is working fine but she's noisy as all hell when it's cold. Since I got another one for a good price I figured I'd swap it out while i'm in summer "get the ol girl trail ready" mode.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It really is easy, mine came out with three bolts, drops straight down. It was 50% full of leaves (after 170K). But be gentle, these are not cheap if you have to buy one.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AuZZZie
I thought that was it (not going to lie, I'm a rookie with heater/ac parts). That does look easy to get out.

Beauty thanks make. Mine is working fine but she's noisy as all hell when it's cold. Since I got another one for a good price I figured I'd swap it out while i'm in summer "get the ol girl trail ready" mode.
Hey let us know how it works once you get the new motor in. I will say that my heater was making the same loud noises as well, not to mention lack of air flow in the cabin. I ended up wasting money buying a used heater motor and fan and replaced the hole thing... When all that was really needed was for all the underhood fabric material to be removed from the heater motor and heater hose up in the dashboard! After I installed the replacement heater fan and motor I ended up completely removing the underhood fabric.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
Hey let us know how it works once you get the new motor in. I will say that my heater was making the same loud noises as well, not to mention lack of air flow in the cabin. I ended up wasting money buying a used heater motor and fan and replaced the hole thing... When all that was really needed was for all the underhood fabric material to be removed from the heater motor and heater hose up in the dashboard! After I installed the replacement heater fan and motor I ended up completely removing the underhood fabric.
Thanks for the tip. I wonder if mine is the same. I've already bough the new motor though so I may as well switch it out. I will keep you posted as requested.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Mudding

Also, I've noticed on #4 setting sometimes my heat/blower will just die. It's happened a few times then randomly comes back. That is what initially sparked me to pickup a new blower.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AuZZZie
Also, I've noticed on #4 setting sometimes my heat/blower will just die. It's happened a few times then randomly comes back. That is what initially sparked me to pickup a new blower.

Oddly my heater does the same thing sometimes. Turn it on to full blast and nothing happens. Sometimes tapping the dashboard does the trick, if not turn the switch to 0 then switch it back to whatever level you desire, this should do the trick - always does for me. Honestly I'm not so sure that the heater motor is at fault for this faulty setup... Maybe the wiring or a bad fuse/relay.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
Oddly my heater does the same thing sometimes. Turn it on to full blast and nothing happens. Sometimes tapping the dashboard does the trick, if not turn the switch to 0 then switch it back to whatever level you desire, this should do the trick - always does for me. Honestly I'm not so sure that the heater motor is at fault for this faulty setup... Maybe the wiring or a bad fuse/relay.
Yea I have noticed if I switch it to 0-1 then back it usually comes back. It is a bit odd. You might be right, but my initial thought was the motor was on the fritz so we will see.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm really not sure where else to start. I usually just avoid using #4 just in case it stops.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Mudding

haha mine has the same problem, i think its in the controls though cuz if i just touch the switch enough to move it it kicks back on...

Quick Reply: Swap Heater Blower Motor