Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sway bar disconnects or just no sway bars???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Mike, does it make any difference that I am installing front and rear 2" drop towers and spring retainer clamps front and rear. If anything I could leave them on but the whole point of the drop towers is for more articulation.
Doesn't make any difference. Go ahead and build yourself a set of disconnects. You can get the bushing from Rovahfarm.com for $.75 each. The rest you can get from any hardware store. Some thin steel tube(also from the hardware store) works well for the sleeve for the clevis pin.
Try the disconnects out and see if you like them. I used to run a set but got tired of bungees breaking. I finally just took the sways off for good. Never looked back. I run RTE 2" HD springs. You should be fine with the TF 2' HD springs.

To the OP. I wouldn't recommend removing the sways on the tired original springs. Even running no sways on new light duty springs might not be good. Make some disconnects. Drive around town and highway with them disconnected. If it sucks, reconnect them. If you can handle it, remove the sways.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go to quick disconnects even with your new lift. Getting used to no sway bars is not soemthing every one will want to do, the ride and have a lot of swaying motion.
I asked this in an older thread before I saw this newer one...

Who sells rear sway bar QD's for D2's?
I have the SlickRock QD's in the front.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I removed both front and rear recently, have stock suspension, and after driving it in varied situations have concluded it only feels a little different and feels fine. My Disco is light though and I wouldn't load it up with a bunch of gear like this.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I removed both front and rear recently, have stock suspension, and after driving it in varied situations have concluded it only feels a little different and feels fine. My Disco is light though and I wouldn't load it up with a bunch of gear like this.
Since I already have QD's on the front, I will try to remove the rear and see how it feels like that I guess. Mine is not exactly light. I have all RTE gear including front and rear bumpers, front and rear skids, rock sliders with nerfs, and front and rear diff guards. The winch is also pretty heavy (Mile Marker V12), but I changed the cable up for the Amsteel Blue synthetic with a Thimble from Viking, so that lightens it a lot. Good news is that most of that heavy gear is below the stock center of gravity so I would think it wouldn't affect the sway bar issue as much.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4xfar
Since I already have QD's on the front, I will try to remove the rear and see how it feels like that I guess. Mine is not exactly light. I have all RTE gear including front and rear bumpers, front and rear skids, rock sliders with nerfs, and front and rear diff guards. The winch is also pretty heavy (Mile Marker V12), but I changed the cable up for the Amsteel Blue synthetic with a Thimble from Viking, so that lightens it a lot. Good news is that most of that heavy gear is below the stock center of gravity so I would think it wouldn't affect the sway bar issue as much.
What suspension are you running?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling

I just have the stock suspension. With a brush guard and a roof rack. But the roof rack is really light because I built it my self.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deer4011
I just have the stock suspension. With a brush guard and a roof rack. But the roof rack is really light because I built it my self.
You should leave the sway bars on. Your suspension does not have enough travel to be limited by the sway bars so it's pointless to lose the on road handling for no additional performance off road.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fisheh
what suspension are you running?
rte 2" hd

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4xfar
rte 2" hd
What shocks?

For those who are curious just remove the ball joint ends and drive it around for a week. If it feels all over the road and you dont like it do disconnects. If you can deal with it then take them off.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Overlanding

if you have hd springs and shock absorber, you no need the sway bars..just take out and sell for scrap metal.... in 1970 until 1882 range rover work unless sway bars. why you need now>? or you wanna run in the hight way?

Quick Reply: Sway bar disconnects or just no sway bars???