Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sway bar disconnects or just no sway bars???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I think this is the problem. You apparently have a D2 and are reading a thread about quick disconnects in the D1 section. D1 and D2 are totally different in the sway bar area.
yeah... I noticed that later. I got to this thread originally by googling "Discovery 2 Rear Sway Bar Disconects" and ended up in te D1 section unaware. I know some of the people in this section have both, so I was hoping someone would be able to answer. I'll try again from scratch on the "other side" ... thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
You will gain a lot more out of the rear as the sway bar limits how the a-rm "tranglulated" 3-link works - unlike the front where the radius arms axle end bushings controls how much the axle can move..

quick disconnect - discovery series II Good info on before and after way bars
thanks Jake. I am very familiar with that article and have almost the identical setup in the front except with SlickRock QD's made for the Disco 2. I am trying to find a solution for the rear.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:46 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope I don't get chastised for reviving an old thread, but I'm curious, do you need limiting straps and/or spring retainers + cones? I've heard people say they damaged shock mounts because the limiting factor is the shock.

edit: I have a D2 and found this thread with the related scroll feature, however I think the question about the shock limiting trace applies to both models.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

To answer your question I would recommend rear spring retainers if you have a lift and no sway bars. It will keep the coil spring from falling out on full articulation. My 97 XD has no sway bars F/R and I have a 3inch lift on it. At full flex the coils unseat and without spring retainers the coils would fall out and jam between the tire, and the coil perch/mount.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobmstein
I hope I don't get chastised for reviving an old thread, but I'm curious, do you need limiting straps and/or spring retainers + cones? I've heard people say they damaged shock mounts because the limiting factor is the shock.

edit: I have a D2 and found this thread with the related scroll feature, however I think the question about the shock limiting trace applies to both models.
I have a D1 with 2" lift and 265/75r16 tires. I have disconnecting sway bars (if anyone is interested in how I did them, you can check out my build thread I think I have some pics of them). I have rear spring retainers, as well as adjusted bump stops. I will be adding limit straps this winter to prevent any springs from popping out on the trail, because even with the bumpstops at the correct height at full flex I have gotten the springs loose before.