Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Swing-out tire mount build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swing-out tire mount build

Another repurposing project...a table saw stand from Craftsman, was recalled for some reason, they sent me a new one, so I modified the old one, to use as my swingout adjustable tire mount on Limey. It also adjusts up and down 16 inches.https://photos.app.goo.gl/mfQb9Xrf2e3pKX358
6A

Last edited by Roverfanatic; 06-20-2019 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ihscouts (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Cannot access the image

Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling

I changed the link in the original post so it should work now......not sure what happened but thank you for pointing it out!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mfQb9Xrf2e3pKX358

Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Wild man..... are you still living on the barge in the river? I probably would weave a cheap ratchet strap around that just to make sure I didn't find out why it was recalled....... I see your ready for the Apocalypse in fine fashion. Do you have four spare wheels tires or just the three I can see in the pics?

Old 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Rock Crawling

You're a funny guy Army. The recall part was cut off the main unit. I should have expected that and commented on it in the original posting. The square tubes that run horizontally have 1/2 inch all-thread connecting the stand to the gate, in addition to the bolts you can see. So it should not be going anywhere.

I made it adjustable because I have a 1984 Honda Interceptor VR1000 and 1940 Trail-Cycle Outlaw that I am going to be mounting on a swing out gate. [It will swing out the opposite direction of the gate the Tire mount is on] [Not at the same time!] [The Trail cycle was built by a company my 2 uncles owned in Idaho, so it's a family Heirloom.]

I am in the middle of a restoration of the 40's bike. In addition to restoring it, am converting it to electric. Here are some of the pics of what I have done so far & the motor/controller/batteries. The gate shown in the pics is just an example, mine will be more substantial.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRFERN9Muw4fq4Sx5

As for the rest of your questions, I'm in East Texas for a while, my Mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's and is rapidly losing memory and my Dad is just an old falling apart retired Master Sergent.
I have had a lab set up in their garage for many years so it's actually an easy place for me to work from. It is giving me time for a bunch of projects so it's not too bad...

The tires are just spares that I wanted to have with me when I do the next build. I am going to do a separate post as this one has already gone off point. I am excited to get your feedback on some things I am thinking of ....

Best,
Tex

Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Being in Texas, that probably used to be a pretty clean D1. Now it looks like someone bolted a shopping cart to your rear door.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Creative, I'll give you that. I'd lose the two slicks on the roof.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, it should be very apparent after 12+ years of numerous modifications (Many posted on this forum) that I am unmoved by "shopping cart" comments. As many negative comments as I hear, I have heard many more that dig the mods.

Did you ever hear the one about the guy who hung his Land Rover in a tree to prove a point?

Every year with the U.S. forums I am on, D1 owners drop off like fly's and mine is still around as a daily driver and doing new fun things.

Also, the truck was bought and lived in New England for 3/4 of its life...so no easy Texas life until the last couple of years.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

The roof tires were put there to transport them back to East Texas. I just haven't gotten around to taking them back off. There not spares, just an extra set from a donor truck that I wanted with me when I get to the lift/bigger tires project...

Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I’ll admit the saw table legs where a really clever repurpose on the Apocalypse Rover. I remember the pics of you hanging it too.

Quick Reply: Swing-out tire mount build