Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Swing-out tire mount build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, you are a total dick.If you were a real engineer you would have asked or know what the steel gauge is, what the bolt grade is (8) and your comments about garbage steel tell me loads about you. The ASTM comment makes you look even more like an idiot. And don't even get me started on I can't weld because I'm not good enough. Real engineers don't guess at specs. There are thousands of mods done every day that didn't get the ATSM seal.

The real question is...is it structurally sound...

Some entertaining pics will follow and now that we have attracted morons to the thread, I am looking forward to posting them.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Seriously at this point, I beg of you to really look at this realistically.
Im not saying anything about your welding, or other skills... or the bolt grade.
The grade of steel used for that stand application is extremely low grade.
I do not need to ask the grade gauge of steel. I have used similar stands/equipment too. I am familiar with its quality.
No it is not structurally sound. The entire point of the ASTM reference is about the structural integrity of the grades of steel.

I really hope you take this sincerely.

Last edited by whiskeynipple0088; 06-27-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling

robertf...good question.... let's find out....

whiskeynipple0088 I have no idea where you read I welded anything.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Im not here to battle your ego or do physics equations. Ive said what I have to say. Its not safe.
You ride a bike. Imagine that thing coming off in front of you.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling

No your one of those guys that post on here making stir in the **** postings, that are rude non-fact based statements, pretends to be an engineer which anyone who is an engineer can see all kinds of inconsistencies in your initial posting. Then when someone like myself calls you out on it, you switch to humble and "Seriously" concerned about the safety of this post.

Your a fraud that has no idea what you're talking about, had no intention of making this a productive thread and in a last-ditch passive/aggressive reply, imply that this is all about my ego. I'm a Texan and the last thing I care about is what someone like you thinks of me.

Mr Fish might annoy me but at least he is honest about his intentions....you sir are not.

So do me a favor if you're really not trying stir in the crap. Looks at the pictures I'm about to post and if you don't have anything positive to say, I would just as soon not hear from you on "this" post again. Your choice...

Tex

Last edited by Roverfanatic; 06-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

You keep stating we're wrong because we're not engineers and therefore we can't prove it's not safe. In reality, products have to be proven safe by an engineer first. So why don't you tell us why/how it IS safe? What gauge steel is it? What is the safety factor? How much is it rated to hold? Has it been stress tested?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Alright, here we go. I know it would not make some of you happy if I hung my F350 dually from the tire mount but, for those who are on the fence about this perhaps this will help you make up your mind.

A couple of things I wanted to point out:

I could have gone down to US Steel bought the supplies to make this but I am far more interested in unique designs and using what I have. (This is my Lincoln.... it's sort of a family heirloom)

On with the build:
The walls of the 2-inch tubing are double sleeved. It was one of the reasons I came up with this idea.

If you actually took the time to look at the pictures in the original post you would notice there is very little of the original table saw mount that I used when I built this, the collapsible part is not present on my creation.

The double walled (Anyone guess what that means in terms of strength?) tubing was fitted with Suspended screw adaptors, and instead of using grade 8 bolts at each end I opted for allthread that connects both the adaptors end to end, through the entire tube, as well as securing it to the rear gate.

V=https://www.qa1.net/tube-adapters-7224

The OEM tire mount is secured to the main unit with 8-3/8 inch grade 8 bolts.

The gate itself is connected to the bumper and the rear of the truck with a 1/4 inch case hardened steel pole and pivot. That is just FYI and has nothing to do with this build other than how it connects to the truck.

So I inserted 1/2 steel pipe about 4 feet long into the tire and wedged into the tire mount, to use as vertical support for the weight test. The yellow rachet strap is only there to hold the pipe upright, it is not connected to anything other than the tire and the pipes.

There are 220 pounds of weights on there....the gate is not moving out and the tire mount is of course fine.

The tire that is mounted on there is 67 pounds so we are at close to three hundred pounds.

Here are some additional angles, note nothing under the rack supporting it.

Now I know that I am going to hear 300 pounds that's all? Or what about the impact on the truck?! So let's add another 210 pounds to it...now I was running out of stuff to stick on the damn things so me it is...

Now I know I'm going to hear, well your standing on the gate with your back foot and not the rack so I had one picture taken from the side so you can see all of me is on the rack. It is difficult standing on top of the tire so I was not up there for very long but. I was up there several times..again no movement.

So there are around 500+ pounds on the rack..The weights have been there for several hours no failure...imagine that...

Tex

Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling

all of your stress testing was done in a lower mounted position then the pics you posted originally. That lower mounted position has way more support - simply by the different angles used. - Up top it is totally cantilevered.

Do the same with it mounted up top.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I'll take your word for it. There's a lot going on there and I can't tell what's what.
You have a pic of the whole rig?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Umm....it is adjustable.... I move it down because I would have had to use a ladder to put the weights on it. But no matter will raise it back up in the morning..Can't wait for the next excuses.

Quick Reply: Swing-out tire mount build