Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

thick oil on lower engine and left tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil-Kim-got-My_sandwich
I added oil last week 4 quarts to get it it to full and the check engine light which has been on for years it went off. Can I just use a engine cleaner/ simple green and a power washer don't feel like scrubbing for hours

Ok, so your Momma has abused the truck for years, not even added oil,
and like you state above, you don't feel like scrubbing for hours

My advice is either start feeling like investing some time and effort into trying to do what you can or just give up all together .

Cheapest way out is proably to sell both the Land Rover and The VW and get something else.

As far as tools go, you can change the oil with one wrench and a rag. But you don't like to scrubb, I forgot.

SPIKE, most car wash owners would run you off if you let your car sit 15 minutes in their bay to cool off. I guess you advocate changing your oil there too huh? Just drain it right into the drain, after all they got oil seperators.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

SPIKE, most car wash owners would run you off if you let your car sit 15 minutes in their bay to cool off. I guess you advocate changing your oil there too huh? Just drain it right into the drain, after all they got oil seperators.
LOL!!
No I do not advocate draining your oil into the carwash drain.
And at the DIY carwash, there are no owners sitting around watching people, there is one on every street corner.
You cant go and spray water onto a hot engine, but you also cant degrease the engine in your driveway because all of that oil will not get recycled.
But do it at a carwash and its all good.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM

The car washes here have video monitoring 24/7 and signs saying no bucket washing.

They want those quarters to keep on flowing.

And just one more comment to Lil Kim and I'll hush up. If you spend as much money on a Tool Box (and tools) as most young kids spend on X-Box, you'll do a lot better off in the long run. Please don't misinterpret my comments as being mad at you, you learn by doing (at least trying to do).
If it were my mother's Rover, I'd bust my butt at least trying to help out with as much as possible. I would not ask for help then say I don't "feel" like putting in a few hours effort. Good luck to you, I hope you put forth more effort than most of the kids coming up these days.

That Rover did not get 4 quarts low overnight then suddenly fix itself. Your mother had a long term problem for it to get that low. And most likely the problem still exist, the accumulated grime may be temporarily stopping the leak up.

Best wishes to you.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't get the bolt off with a wrench. maybe I'm not LAND ROVER strong. I tried to get it off at my moms job (firehouse) but it wouldn't budge I do have a tool set stops at... I think 21mm but is the draining bolt 29mm the 28mm I purchased for the wheels doesn't fit. trust me I have been trying I kinda like the truck its just frustrating how I will fix something and two weeks later it has another problem

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What bolt are you trying to remove?
The oil drain plug?
It is a 1"1/16", buy a combination wrench.

The lugs are the same size.
But for those you need a 6 POINT socket in 1/2" drive.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM

For the lug nuts, I prefer the 4 way lug wrench, I bought one at Advance Auto for les than 20 bucs. The cross bar design allows you to get plenty of leverage to get a tight lug off.

Also buy PB Blaster to spray on nuts and bolts prior to attempting to loosen.

Also, the longer a wrench is, the easier it is to break torque on a tight bolt. I bought a coupe of pieces of scrap pipe the ardware store to use as breaker bars or tight bolts. I slip one over the wrench to extend the lever arm. It makes a big difference.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
What bolt are you trying to remove?
The oil drain plug?
It is a 1"1/16", buy a combination wrench.

The lugs are the same size.
But for those you need a 6 POINT socket in 1/2" drive.

ok. i need to get to this before school starts

Old 08-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so land rover purposly made the oil drain plug the same size as the lug nuts, so you could use the lug wrench to do an oil change in a pinch? who said Land Rover engineers were lazy?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

I guess you could try the stock lug wrench and see if it fits.

One more item to consider is the copper crush ring that should be used under the head of the drain bolt to prevent leaks. You should get a new one each time. I like to have an extra on hand.

I think I will also add one of those adapter plates that sandwiches between the oil filter and block so I can add an oil pressure guage.

So Kim, keep on trying and with some luck your effort should begin to pay off.
But remember, it did not get that way overnight so you can't fix it all in a few minutes or even a long hard day. Keep plugging away, you will begin to enjoy it with each accomplishment.

And if you download and study the sections of the RAVE, you will get a good understanding of what you will have to deal with.

If was easy, anyone could do it.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought mine it was damaged from some jack wagon trying to use the wrong size on it. It was completely rounded off. I used lots of PB blaster and my vice grips. Finally got it off and replaced it with a new one. So worst case scenario try that. But order a new plug first or you will be sitting there without one and you won't be able to refill it. As was previously said, it didn't get this way overnight so you won't fix it overnight.