Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Thinking of Getting another Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
DiscoCam, are you saying the TPS wasn't allowing the throttle plate to completely closed, or, just that it the TPS was reading improperly when the throttle plate was fully retracted (closed)? Glad you found it.

Does anyone know if by unhooking the battery cables and holding them together for a period of time it will reset the ECM by draining the capacitors? I know it works on some vehicles, not sure about L/R's.
The TPS was reading the throttle improperly. When the throttle was fully closed, the TPS would actually output a value. I was planning on buying a new sensor but modifying it to work properly was so easy (and free).

I know that connecting the battery terminals together for ten minutes on an LR3 will reset the ECU). Tried it on my Disco 1, but I didn't see any evidence on my scan tool that the ECU was reset. Maybe I had to leave them connected for a longer amount of time? There has to be a simpler way to reset the ECU on the D1 though. Not everyone has a dealer level scan tool and it's hard to believe that a 20+ year old truck would require one for an ECU reset.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, they're not that cheap either. I saw a couple on Ebay (used) pretty cheap that might be good to keep as a spare if yours does totally flake out ...or I see a few for $140 on fleabay. Glad you found it though, thanks for sharing!

# ERR 4278

Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mark G
Yeah, they're not that cheap either. I saw a couple on Ebay (used) pretty cheap that might be good to keep as a spare if yours does totally flake out ...or I see a few for $140 on fleabay. Glad you found it though, thanks for sharing!

# ERR 4278
Readings seem to be OK after my little "adjustment" but I will keep my eyes peeled for a cheap spare on eBay.

On another note: I finally got my driver's seat to move properly by cleaning the switch. However, my passenger seat is still stuck. Anybody know what to look for or know how to test for power and such?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2017, 06:52 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Go to the link in my sig for RAVE manuals. Then find etlj970x.pdf and go to page 280.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
The TPS was reading the throttle improperly. When the throttle was fully closed, the TPS would actually output a value. I was planning on buying a new sensor but modifying it to work properly was so easy (and free).

So how did you modify it to work?

Mine always reads at 13.1% even with the plate fully closed. However my idle is between 750 and 800 generally.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Readings seem to be OK after my little "adjustment" but I will keep my eyes peeled for a cheap spare on eBay.

On another note: I finally got my driver's seat to move properly by cleaning the switch. However, my passenger seat is still stuck. Anybody know what to look for or know how to test for power and such?

Thanks
Check the fuse for the cigar lighter in the fuse panel. I believe the passenger seat and the cigar lighter are on the same fuse.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Go to the link in my sig for RAVE manuals. Then find etlj970x.pdf and go to page 280.
Thanks for that. Ended up being the yellow power relay. So I just swapped it with the heated seat relay and it works great. I won't need the heated seat anytime soon.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AbnMike
So how did you modify it to work?

Mine always reads at 13.1% even with the plate fully closed. However my idle is between 750 and 800 generally.
I drilled a hole about 3mm below the left hole and another hole about 3mm above the right hole. This allowed me to rotate the sensor enough so that the truck idles properly. It's idling around 900-950rpm on warm up and around 700rpm when it's warm. The TPS now reads about 2%. It's weird how mine is so much lower than the norm but it works properly so I'm not gonna mess with it anymore.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reset ECU; take cables off batt, clamp together and leave it over night. or use scanner to reset. I'm a bit S of San Jose. If you need a scanner to reset codes send an email and i'll bring it into town.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Marty_deux
Reset ECU; take cables off batt, clamp together and leave it over night. or use scanner to reset. I'm a bit S of San Jose. If you need a scanner to reset codes send an email and i'll bring it into town.
Thanks, will do that when I get the chance.

Also have a scanner leftover from my D2.