Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Thought you might find this cool..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thought you might find this cool..

First rust killer and bondo.
Name:  IMG_1639.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  170.6 KB
Then two 24'X48' 22GA plates. Wings were added under jump seats later.
Name:  IMG_1641.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  123.5 KB
Just a reminder as to what the driver pan looked like..
Name:  IMG_1647.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  161.4 KB
New pan - 16 GA diamond steel plates. Pretty sweet..
Name:  IMG_1663.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  153.5 KB
And today finally the passenger pan as well. Caulk and great stuff added around the edges as a finisher.
Name:  IMG_1681.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  120.8 KB

Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man great work.
Looking at your passenger seat your truck is beat!
Are you going to carpet that diamond plating? Its going to be slippery if it gets wet.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man great work.
Looking at your passenger seat your truck is beat!
Are you going to carpet that diamond plating? Its going to be slippery if it gets wet.
$11 seat covers from Costco fixed that problem, and I've got rubber mats to go down in both pans and rear, so I think i'll leave it w/ no carpet. I kept the deadner in case I changed my mind, but I like the look so I'm going to pitch it. I'm the only one who uses it so noise is not an issue.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap!

It's pictures like this that make me understand how lucky I am to have a rust free 96.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Mudding

no doubt. at least I know what not to buy next time. it runs great that's the problem. lol!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twoxred
no doubt. at least I know what not to buy next time. it runs great that's the problem. lol!
Mine doesn't... well, does but it too rich so it's sitting parked. Looks pretty though... lol.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great with that diamond plate. And as for being slick, it could be but with a decent rubber soled boot you should be ok. I have been climbing around on wet firetrucks and ambulances with diamond plate for over 10 years and I have never slipped and fell (knock on wood). You just have to remember to be careful when it is wet. Great job!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of quick questions, Did you just put the diamond plate right over the existing floor pan with all the rust and stuff?

Not to be critical, but in the back, is there a reason you left the seats and trim in the back, are you going to do anything more with the rust back there?

Mine is nowhere near as rusted as yours, but I do plan to try and get as much of the existing rust off as possible prior ro redoing anything. I do like the look of the plate in the rear very well.

How is the plate in the front attached? How many pieces of diamond plate did it take to do it?

It looks good, I plan to do something similar eventually.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
A couple of quick questions, Did you just put the diamond plate right over the existing floor pan with all the rust and stuff?

Not to be critical, but in the back, is there a reason you left the seats and trim in the back, are you going to do anything more with the rust back there?

Mine is nowhere near as rusted as yours, but I do plan to try and get as much of the existing rust off as possible prior ro redoing anything. I do like the look of the plate in the rear very well.

How is the plate in the front attached? How many pieces of diamond plate did it take to do it?

It looks good, I plan to do something similar eventually.
Hey Danny

I did my best to get as much rust out as possible. I gave it a few coats of rust killer all over in the front on what was left as well, but basically we took the new steel back to the good steel. It took two 24 by 48' diamond plates. one for each pan. $42 bucks a pop at lowes.

The back was an early pic sorry. The new steel goes all the way under the seats, and we added wings to the sides and under/behind the wheel well. I like the look as well, and no I'm not doing anything further. I'm just going to let it rust away and buy a new truck whenever it gives up. The frame is in good shape.

Both the front and back plates were attached with self drilling screws and rivets in a few places near the brake lines. I caulked the front, but didn't bother with the back away from the bondo filling any other spots I could get a flashlight through.