Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Time for a brake job

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a brake job

Now that broken things number 24 & 25 are done, on to the brakes. Pep Boys alerted me to the fact that my front rotors were at yellow stage. Guess that means "caution" haha They quoted me $365 for labor (I have rotors and pads already to go) My question is twofold.

1. Doesn't that sound a bit high? First they said $ 110 per axle then changed it to $360 when they realized it was a Discovery! Hmmmm

2. More importantly, is this something a rookie can do? I've changed pads on the M3 before but not rotors. I'm not a total DA but I did try and take off the tensioner nut when changing my alternator so I'm dangerous without directions.

MC

Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Most new cars you just pop off the caliper an or bracket (2-4 bolts) and the rotors just come off, rover is more involved

Iirc you need to buy a tool to remove the wheel bearing nuts on front and rear, rear you pull the axles first, you then need to seperate the rotors from hubs and draw new onto hubs, while in there might as well replace the seals and repack wheel bearings

So yes it is involved, more time then anything not really hard

Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

It's involved but not overly complicated. The special tool is just a big socket, Atlantic British or RovahFarm has them pretty cheap. An impact gun helps but isn't necessary. A torque wrench is needed.
Replace the drive flange seals and hub seals(RTC3511) and repack or replace the bearings. The RAVE has good directions on it, and there's probably a write up maybe in the Tech sticky in this section.
Honestly, I'm not sure I'd trust Pep Boys to do the job right.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm curios how they were able to tell you rotors were getting thin since they probly never saw solid rotors before, doubt they looked up specs and mic'd them

Realistically unless you have discoloration, cracks , grooves cut, it shakes or pulses pedal braking or you mic them out of spec rotors should not need replacing

Btw pads are super easy

Loosen master cap, remove wheel, pull the pins holding pads in, pry back old pads, pull old drop in new, reinstall pins

Old 06-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
I'm curios how they were able to tell you rotors were getting thin since they probly never saw solid rotors before, doubt they looked up specs and mic'd them

Realistically unless you have discoloration, cracks , grooves cut, it shakes or pulses pedal braking or you mic them out of spec rotors should not need replacing

Btw pads are super easy

Loosen master cap, remove wheel, pull the pins holding pads in, pry back old pads, pull old drop in new, reinstall pins

Good point. I asked my mechanic about the brakes when he had the wheels off. He said they were about 40%. Pedal feels fine. No shaking.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would do just the pads for now unless the rotors are cracked or grooved