Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

This time it was my ****ing fault!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the complete rear door speakers with the beige plastic piece and the black metal grille from my 97 in excellent condition. Don't know how much shipping would be, but mine is available very reasonably.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:01 PM

After looking at that door, if you busted the outside piece with a mallet, you may be better off with a good used door. That would be a bitch to ship though.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 PM

I strongly suggest you go ahead and lift that carpet and rear pad and take a look at the cargo floor pan as well. Usually a lot of rust under there if it got very wet. From the looks of your brush bar, I think you should go ahead and check under the carpets and see what you got there.

My rear bumper has a significant degree of rust as well. One day I rapped the rear bumper a few good times with a hammer. It was amazing how much rust fell from below it.

Have you spent any time underneath it with a good light to evaluate the overall conditions underneath it yet?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I strongly suggest you go ahead and lift that carpet and rear pad and take a look at the cargo floor pan as well. Usually a lot of rust under there if it got very wet. From the looks of your brush bar, I think you should go ahead and check under the carpets and see what you got there.

My rear bumper has a significant degree of rust as well. One day I rapped the rear bumper a few good times with a hammer. It was amazing how much rust fell from below it.

Have you spent any time underneath it with a good light to evaluate the overall conditions underneath it yet?
I'll keep your offer regarding the cargo interior door panel in mind. Yes I imagine shipping for a used door would be pretty hefty. But I may have no other cboice. As for pulling up the carpets... To be honest I haven't dared. But then again I first need to focus primary on the mechanical workings followed by any necessary fixes (such as a faulty cargo door). To my knowledge all I have to do for mechanical work is replace the radiator and cooling hoses, replace the hub seals, replace the front u-joints (as a precaution, haven't noticed any actual indication of bad joints yet), oil pan gasket, engine rebuild and possibly replacement or servicing of either the transmission or the transfer case. I hope to have accomplihsed most if not all of this by next winter. Thereafter ill be working on the rust and panels plus the interior.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 PM

I would strogly advocate as thorough an inspection as possible PRIOR to putting a lot of additional money into some of the items you listed. If the bottom, the frame or the entire floor pans look anything like that front bumper, you would be throwing a LOT of MONEY into a vehicle that may need more than cosmetic rust repair. Just something to consider before tying up tons of money fixing any vehicle. Discovery or not.