Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tire configuration setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Tire configuration setup

Currently installed on my disco are 4 general grabber 35/70 R 16 tires. Both front tires are bald and need to be removed. The back tires still have decent dread left so ill keep those on. My plan is to order 2 Yokohama geolandar A/T - S 235/70 R 16 tires and install those on the rear and install my good general grabber tires on the front. This will be a temporary setup until I can afford the other 2 Yokohama tires.

What I need to know is:

Is this the best setup?
Will this setup work?
Will this setup damage or screw up my alignment?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Or alternatively plan b:
Get the alignment and switch the bad front tires to the rear and the good rear tires to the front. Order 2 Yokohama tires and put them aside until I get the other 2 Yokohama tires. My estimation is that within the next month in a half ill have the other 2 tires, so overall the wait would not be to long.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's best to have all four tires be the same size and wear level on a full time 4wd, if possible. If you don't, you'll cause excessive wear in the center differential. This is why you should, in the future, be religious about tire rotations. That being said if the choice is running on bald may-pops or buying just 2, I'd buy 2.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would wait and get all 4 matching tires on then get an alignment. Just my $.02

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jafir
It's best to have all four tires be the same size and wear level on a full time 4wd, if possible. If you don't, you'll cause excessive wear in the center differential. This is why you should, in the future, be religious about tire rotations. That being said if the choice is running on bald may-pops or buying just 2, I'd buy 2.
Remember that I'm practically restoring this discovery. Everything faulty in the rig is the result of the previous owner (and that includes bald tires and offset alignment). I just haven't got to dealing with it until now.

Yes the Yokohama tires that I just ordered are a different brand but the size is identical. So would the damage be serious if I put them on now? The current offset alignment is only getting worse - can't keep a straight line anymore. All the bearings and tire rod ends are good just the tube which holds the steering damper is bent causing uneven wear on the tires. I have an appointment tomorrow to get that and the alignment fixed. Meanwhile the bald tires will be rotated to the rear at least until my new tires come in.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah, I know you are just trying to fix the crap that the P.O. left you. And you are doing an admirable job.... almost obsessive.

Because you plan on getting the tires pretty soon, I'd say it doesn't matter whether you put them on now, or wait and put all 4 on. You are already driving on different size tires, because two are worn out. Once you get all four on, just rotate them regularly. I personally think doing a 5 tires rotation is best for these vehicles, but I'm sure at least half of the people will disagree with me

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you throw the new tyres on the front and get it aligned, you will need to align it again when you get the other 2 new tyres. Might as well throw the 2 new tyres on the rear and wait to align it until you get the other 2 tyres on the front.

How many times do you want to pay for an alignment?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jafir
Yeah, I know you are just trying to fix the crap that the P.O. left you. And you are doing an admirable job.... almost obsessive.

Because you plan on getting the tires pretty soon, I'd say it doesn't matter whether you put them on now, or wait and put all 4 on. You are already driving on different size tires, because two are worn out. Once you get all four on, just rotate them regularly. I personally think doing a 5 tires rotation is best for these vehicles, but I'm sure at least half of the people will disagree with me

Obsessive? Very well put! I love my disco - treat it like my wife!

Well just got back from DAP... They rotated the bad tires to the rear, straightened the rod and aligned the rig. I tested everything out on the highway and everything went well. I ended up only paying $145 total! I think lll just stick with the current tire setup as it is now. I already order the first 2 new tires, so ill just put them aside until I get the other 2 (or 3 - one extra for the spare). That way I will only have to pay for one more alignment. Thanks much for your help.