Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tires size and Gas consumption relation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

When I type in your size here, it really shows the difference. You do have some slicers!!

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Dave-

Is your photo with the 205/80's??

Old 01-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
When I type in your size here, it really shows the difference. You do have some slicers!!

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Yup! downside is the disco digs ruts way easier in my driveway

Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Dave-

Is your photo with the 205/80's??
Yes thats them

Old 02-01-2017, 05:28 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by number9
Carlos,
Your friends are loco. Larger diameter tires in theory get better mpg because you go further with fewer engine rpms. Rolling resistance of the wider tread may offset the mpg increase by a small amount.
Thank you numer9. Actually what you said makes sense but why on the VIN tag suggest to 205 or 235?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cpedraza
Actually what you said makes sense but why on the VIN tag suggest to 205 or 235?
You're welcome.

VIN is for recommended size and load rating purposes. Size may affect handling and if too large you may have clearance problems.

When you put larger dia tires on a vehicle you be going a bit faster than the speedo reads and changes your "gearing" making it a little higher.

Last edited by number9; 02-01-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Carlos,
Your friends are loco. Larger diameter tires in theory get better mpg because you go further with fewer engine rpms. Rolling resistance of the wider tread may offset the mpg increase by a small amount.

This is patently wrong. There are just too many other considerations to factor into make this sort of claim. Going "bigger" with tires has an impact on the vehicle ranging from increasing unsprung weight:

"Reducing unsprung weight is the key to improving handling. The lower the unsprung weight, the less work the shocks and springs have to do to keep the tires in contact with the road over bumpy surfaces. Lot of problems, if not all of them is caused by inertia. Bigger weight means higher inertia. Higher inertia means more workload for shocks and springs to keep tiers on the ground. If unsprung components have a high mass they are harder to accelerate/decelerate and thus it is more difficult for the suspension to maintain a consistent tire load."

Unsprung Weight

To messing with the way the vehicle performs based on the torque curve of the engine relative to its weight. Engineers used a specific tire size for optimizing the torque curve for the most efficient operation of the vehicle.

"Engines are generally most efficient when running at the RPM at which they produce peak torque, or the greatest amount of force per revolution. A car should be geared so that it stays as close to the peak torque RPM as possible for greatest efficiency. If you have too large of a tire, the engine will fall below its range of optimal efficiency, requiring more fuel to stay running at the same RPM. If the tire is too small, the engine will be spinning faster than necessary to maintain speed, thus wasting power and fuel."

Do larger tires improve gas mileage?

Changing the width or height of the wheel and tire combination have been shown to aversely impact fuel efficient AND overall performance.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

I remember way back in 1982 when I bought my first BMW, a 320i. It came with 175/75/13 tires on measely 13" rims. I went Plus 2 and used 195/55/15 tires on 15x7 BBS rims. I definitely remember seeing a good drop in my MPG. I also remember when, in the last years Rover imported the old Series III into the US they dropped the size of the wheels down from 16" to 15" and decreasing the height and width of the rubber all in an effort to increase that trucks horrible mileage. That was back in the early 1970's.

I'm sorry but "going big" will not increase your gas mileage.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I'm sorry but "going big" will not increase your gas mileage.
I'm sorry you add links without reading them and they may contradict your knowing all attitude. Your experience may be different from mine and it doesn't make either of them wrong.

From your link:
In a nutshell, the vehicles which stand to benefit from a larger diameter tire

Old 02-02-2017, 10:36 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

The only way a larger tire (with the same or less aggressive tread than the tire it replaced) would result in higher fuel economy is if the vehicle spent the vast majority of the time cruising at 55 mph where optimal fuel economy typically is reached. Personally, I don't know many people driving 20 year old Land Rovers who use them daily for long highway commutes.

Show me scientific evidence that increasing the size of your tires increases your mileage in anything other than the specific incident I just mentioned and I'll be more than happy to believe you. And don't cite the "rolling resistance" argument because it is not really a factor in outfitting our Rovers with larger tires. More than likely, anyone going up a size in tires, either in width or aspect ratio, is doing to along with outfitting more aggressive rubber. I don't recall hearing stories about Rover guys ditching their A/T's so they could fit a nice pair of highway tires on their rig.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench

The only way
Is your way.

Quick Reply: Tires size and Gas consumption relation