Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Top end refresh suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Top end refresh suggestions needed

My 97 4.0 has 125k on the clock and signs of a driver side rear water jacket HG leak. It does not currently, and has not ever overheated. However, it is dripping coolant out of the back side of the head. Dipstick oil still looks and smells good, but the underside of the oil cap shows condensation and a light yellowish film after short drives, and I can smell coolant (mostly from driver side wheel well). I'm currently not driving it unless absolutely necessary, and then only very short distances. When I have time next month over the holidays I'm planning on a HG change and possibly a 4.6 cam swap. I've already ordered this HG kit that I thought was a very good price at $100 shipped.

LAND ROVER HEAD GASKET KIT & BOLTS DISCOVERY I RANGE CLASSIC STC4082 ALLMAKES4x4 | Miami British Corp.

I don't have any lifter tick noise, but I'm sure the lobes and lifters are worn considering the mileage. I'd like a bit more low end, and I've read that the 4.6 cam and lifters is a direct swap.

1) Is this entirely true?
2) I don't plan on removing the engine, so I would not be replacing the cam bearings. Is that a bad idea, and if so is there any way of knowing beforehand if cam bearing replacement is a must?

I'd also plan on replacing the water pump, oil pump, and timing chain since I'm already there.

3) Is there anything else I should do as preventative maintenance while it's apart (i.e. front main seal, crank gear, cam gear (is cam gear for 4.0/4.6 the same))?

Any suggestions/corrections are appreciated.

Last edited by MC04DII; 11-23-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

AllMakes is not a quality kit. I realize money is an object but you've got big plans, why ruin them with cheap parts? Felpro makes head gaskets I swear by, I've used em 30 out 33 times with no issues. For the other parts try Rovahfarm.com.

A GEMS 4.6 is direct, Thor is not. Replace the bearings, lifters and pushrods. Normally a crank swap is going to do way more than a cam swap. You'll just get a rougher idle out of the 4.6's duration.

You'll have to remove the radiator, good time to have it rodded if there's a shop around you. As far as the pumps, chain, front seal and sprockets again hit up Rovahfarm.

Good luck, post results.

The following users liked this post:
MC04DII (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
AllMakes is not a quality kit. I realize money is an object but you've got big plans, why ruin them with cheap parts? Felpro makes head gaskets I swear by, I've used em 30 out 33 times with no issues. For the other parts try Rovahfarm.com.

A GEMS 4.6 is direct, Thor is not. Replace the bearings, lifters and pushrods. Normally a crank swap is going to do way more than a cam swap. You'll just get a rougher idle out of the 4.6's duration.

You'll have to remove the radiator, good time to have it rodded if there's a shop around you. As far as the pumps, chain, front seal and sprockets again hit up Rovahfarm.

Good luck, post results.
I was a bit concerned about the AllMakes HG. I can always order the Elring ones from RovahFarm for $20 if there really is a significant difference. I plan on keeping this D1 for a very long time, and I've strongly considered a future 4.6 crank/rod swap. As for now I don't have the time or money being that I'm in medical school, so I figure I can do that a few years down the road. If you're saying that I'd be better suited to swap the cam bearings with a 4.6 cam swap, then I may just wait and do that swap along with the 4.6 crank/rods. Better to do that when I can remove the engine and not penny pinch as much. Honestly, I just figured "when in Rome" since I already have to do a HG swap, but I can live with less power for now with new HGs installed. Considering that, I'll likely ditch the cam swap for now since I'm not getting any drastic failure signs. In that case, should I go ahead get a valve job plus the heads resurfaced, and call it a day? Also, for a future 4.6 crank/rod/cam swap would I even need to remove the heads again, or is everything (except the cam) swappable through the bottom end? Thanks

Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Cams come out the front of the motor, no head removal required. If you have a Napa nearby try them for the Felpro's, better than Elring. That's twice I've suggested them because I cannot emphasize enough, serious as a heart attack.

Yes, have the heads refreshed, valve job, new seals, new valves where needed. Remove as much carbon and oil sludge as you can with the time you have available and your head gasket swap will net you some of your ponies back....... You'll be surprised at how smooth the motor will idle. I can hardly hear mine at 700 rpm.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Good luck with medical school, it's what I should've done a long time ago, I'm envious. I once had an older retired gentleman talk to me while I was getting rigging ready on the pier for a week of commercial fishing aboard our fishing boat. We talked for a long while and I enjoyed the banter. When he was finished he looked me straight in the eye and said; "You son could be a surgeon." I asked in a kind tone; "How do you know?" to which he replied; "I am a retired surgeon.....and you and I have allot in common." That boat by the way is listed in the Alabama Ship Registry as lost at sea........the Aleutian Bounty. She capsized off the Keys two trips after I joined the Air Force. All souls lost.......

Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Good luck with medical school, it's what I should've done a long time ago, I'm envious. I once had an older retired gentleman talk to me while I was getting rigging ready on the pier for a week of commercial fishing aboard our fishing boat. We talked for a long while and I enjoyed the banter. When he was finished he looked me straight in the eye and said; "You son could be a surgeon." I asked in a kind tone; "How do you know?" to which he replied; "I am a retired surgeon.....and you and I have allot in common." That boat by the way is listed in the Alabama Ship Registry as lost at sea........the Aleutian Bounty. She capsized off the Keys two trips after I joined the Air Force. All souls lost.......
That's a cool story, and it's never too late. I'm 30 and in my second year. I started in engineering and was also in the Air Force, well kinda (the reserves) ha. I worked on C-130 fuel systems for about 7 years total (6 year reserve contract plus 1 year active duty). I ended up changing majors halfway through and got a bachelor's and master's in molecular biology. It's hard work just getting in med school, and even more so once you're in. However, if you're passionate about it, you'll always know you made the right choice. If you ever change your mind, or have any questions about the field, the process of getting in, or whatever just shoot me a PM.
As for the Rover, I'll pick up a Felpro HG and just proceed to change them out. The cam/crank/rod swap can wait til later. Thanks for the tips and well wishes.

Matt

Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

X2 on Felpro. Have used their gaskets on other rigs and never had an issue. I'm doing a head gasket job on my Disco as we speak and will be using all Felpro gaskets for that.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I think I'm getting the message loud and clear, ha. Felpro it is. Luckily, the other kit hadn't shipped yet, so I was able to easily cancel the order. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Mco4d2, don't forget new head bolts these are non reuseable

Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
Mco4d2, don't forget new head bolts these are non reuseable
Oh yeah, I knew that. That kit I cancelled had them included. I'll order them separately now.